icon

Autostarters in Chrysler products

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
NismaX 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  

$165 for an autostarter with keyless?  That seems too cheap.  Do you have the same pricing for all vehicles or just the ones that only need neg or pos pulses to trip the locks?  Seems to me that after buying the starter and installing it your not really making enough to make it worth while.  I run power from the battery and use spit loom on the wiring in the engine compartment to make everything disappear.  I don't know maybe I spend too much time making it look good.  What do you charge when there is a security system involved? 

Jon
audiopro12 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  

Autostarters in Chrysler products - Page 2 -- posted image.I only run power to the battery when it is necessary as in the newer chrysler vehicles and if there is a factory security system like gm's passlock or chryslers sentry key system then it is an additional $50 .....it usually only takes me 2 to 3 hours to install a remote start with keyless entry....

rick

NismaX 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  

Well except for just recently the models I use have been trouble free.  I found I had better luck getting 12v from the batt to the autostarter to keep it from locking up.  What method do you use to tie into the ign wires?  I strip back the wiring and "t" splice into the wiring and tape.  Well we both charge the same amount for the security system bypass kits.  By the way I'm up here in NH if you need a geographic fix.  I have had these prices for a couple of years.   I figure I need to make a hundered bucks to make it worth my while.

Jon
mbsaudio 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
Hi Jon and Rick.  Just reading about your Chrysler problems.  I too have been doing starter/alarm instals for a few years and find that Chrysler is one of the trickier vehicles to work on simply because they change things so often.  I see you guys both are in the U.S.  I'm in Canada, and your pricing does seem quite high.  For a remote starter/alarm combo unit I normally charge $180 plus relays.  Thats Canadian dollars.  I don't know if you guys buy wholesale or not but your prices seem quite high, considering U.S. $100 is about $158 Canadian.
NismaX 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  

I guess it all depends on where you are and what the cost of your product is.  Design Tech charges me $75ish for a single button autostarter with 2 remotes.  I don't charge anything extra except for security systems and in the case of the keyless unit to hook up the locks.  I hope your getting your product at a reasonable cost do you can make something.  Sometimes I think my distributor is screwing me.  I just started selling Sirius equipment and I found that Crutchfield is selling the equipment for less than what I buy for "wholesale". 

Jon
audiopro12 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  

Autostarters in Chrysler products - Page 2 -- posted image.I by direct from crimestopper and they charge me around $60 each for a 2 remote 4 button on each remote ....remote starter and I typically make around a hundred dollars as I charge $165 whether the customer wants locks or not...

I dont charge additional for relays as they are minimal in there costs .....

I use a wholesaler for relays and such ....

as for connection  I used to solder every wire but i havve cut  my time in half but only soldering underhood connections...

for underdash I use 3m "T"taps with a male disconnect...

rick

NismaX 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
You trust  "T" taps  for the ign wires?  I use the t's for everything else except the ign and under the hood stuff.  I have seen the "T" taps from 3m and they seem like they are of better quality then the ones I use.   Like you I solder under the hood.  Corrosion finds it's way into tapped connections.  I also use an anti corrosive compound on connection to the battery.  I use a wholesaler for relays and all the other installation "goodies" 
Jon
audiopro12 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  

Autostarters in Chrysler products - Page 2 -- posted image.I completely trust the 3M t taps I havent had a single problem since I started using them and they make installation a breeze....

rick

NismaX 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
Well they would definatly speed up the install.  I don't usually buy the 3m stuff since the distributor offers their own brand and it works fine for everything else.  Well maybe I'll re-think my pricing schedule but,  I am busy everyday so I may not go too much lower.
Jon
NismaX 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
Here is a totally unrelated question.  How do these guys get such deals on items on e-bay.  I really hate to see items posted that are way below my cost.  I mean I could do some great deals for my customers if I could buy 20% lower than my distributor is charging me.
Jon
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic