icon

speeding tickets

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
Hey everyone.  I haven't posted in here in it seems ages.  Here's my dilemma.  I'm driving back to Dallas from my base in San Diego, and I get pulled over somewhere in Arizona for a 67 in a 55 (which I thought was a 65).  I show the officer my military ID, hoping he'll let me go.  Nope- he gave me a ticket.  So I'm back on my way, and halfway through Texas I get pulled over again.  The cop tells me I was doing 80 in a 70, and I tell him I was not going 80.  I ask him several times to see the reading, and he says he's not required to show me and refuses, giving me another ticket.  This sounds too fishy to me.  Does any one have any suggestions as to how I can get these dismissed, or at the very least not show on my record?  I've already taken Defensive Driving once this year so this may not be an option.  Sorry for the off topic post, but I just had to vent.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  

Well firstly...you where speeding. Buck up and pay up.lol

Now i know here in Iowa, if you ask to see the reading, and they dont show it, your off the hook ( i think, i don't make a habit to get pulled over for speeding- never have). You need to check state (or county) laws to see if they have that.  Stories i have heard is that texan cops are real hard @$$ cops.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
Scince ya got 2 in one night, go to court tell the prosocutor you'll be happy to pay one... Thats about the best your gonna get...
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 3:45 AM / IP Logged  
1st make sure the cop is certified with the radar gun. if he's not you can beat the ticket. 2nd make sure the radar gun is certified. if not you can beat the ticket. 3rd you can suck it up and pay the ticket. 4th slow down the life you save might be mine. good luck
Big Dave
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 6:52 AM / IP Logged  
You might have a chance to get them not to show up on your driving record, but it will cost you. I had to pay a lawyer to talk to the judge and plead " no contest" and I never heard any more from it. I was in Georgia and got stopped going 72 in a 55 zone (which I thought was a 65 zone on the Interstate). I'm from SC, so I know it can be done, if you talk to the right lawyer that knows what to do. That is a lot better that paying high insurance for 3 years!
'85 Toy
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
Were you on a interstate both times you got the tickets? I cant belive a cop would pull you over for only doing 10mph over. 10mph over is a given, especially on the interstate. The cop must have been having a bad day or something, or maybe he needed to make his quota for the month. One way or the other its bull.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
Wow, thanks for the advice everyone.  I looked into some lawyers, and you were right supradude, it would cost me.  Yes, both tickets were on the interstate pimpincavy.  I did find out today that I can take defensive driving online for the Arizona one, and I can defer the Texas one, keeping them both off my record.  Thanks again for all the help.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 6:02 AM / IP Logged  
File for a motion of discovery. this will be all the papaer work on his radar. if you want and try to beat it get a attonery, they know more what to look for.
If you think you car speed is off, which does happen, have that check out.
Main thing stop speeding. Yes we ALL do it. And this is how the state, city, get money, form people speeding. It is the holiday season so they gettign everyone strick on it.
foltzy 
Copper - Posts: 46
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  
go to court, sometimes they will drop the fine and issue the points, and viceversa..most of the time its not worth the cops time to go, and if he's a no show you should be let off the hook..
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
I would have a mechanic certify my speedometer in my car.  This would help in court.  You should also have the radar and cops certifications checked.  As for the cop not showing up in court, might be a little tough.  In some parts of Texas it is mandated that cops show up in court or they will be docked pay.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic