icon

Trouble from ground distribution block

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2004 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  

I have to stick up for Pioneer here. I've never heard of them having problems with noise although anything is possible. 

I have installed several systems with Pioneer HUs and never encountered a single problem of any kind.

djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 3:38 AM / IP Logged  

I think forbidden is right.  I read about this in the beginner MECP book.

Points where ground can run into a "loop" situation include:

1.  The low-level leads going from the output of a head unit to the input of a crossover or amp.  (Nothing will allow noise to radiate into a system faster than inferior cable with poor shielding.  Always use high quality cables.)

2.  An amplifier or any other component mounted directly to the metal of the vehicle.  (Never mount components to bare metal.  Always try to use an amp rack and insulate the other components from the chasis of the vehicle.)

3.  Grounding several components to chassis ground through their ground lines.  (Some preamp units get their B- connection directly from the interconnect cable - connecting the black wire to ground in this case causes an automatic ground loop.  Ground your preamp components to one point - usually the back of the radio - if their power supply ground is separate from signal ground.

4.  The antenna input.  (The use of antenna ground-breakers that are available on the market today is not a recommended practice, unless there is a severe grounding problem with a particular vehicle.  This ground is essential to the reception of AM.)

Although there are ground-loop adapters available on the market, they are really a "band-aid" approach for a system that should have been wired correctly in the first place.

The simplest way to avoid accessory noise problems is to never share a ground connection with the vehicle's accessory ground path, such as a fan motor or brake light ground.  It is highly likely that a pop or a buzz will be heard in the system whenever the fan is turned on or the brakes are applied.

Trouble from ground distribution block - Page 3 -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry guys, I have been a little swamped here at the shop lately, how is this problem making out? My bet lies with the Pioneer cd player. After selling and installing them for the better part of 18 years, I generally have a pretty good nose to sniff out a rotten fish. Not that Pioneer is bad, it is far from it but in most cases it is the source of the dreaded noise. This is due to how the unit is designed and there is nothing that you can do about it. (except purchase a nice new Eclipse cd player.) Anyways, post the results and I'll try to look back in on things.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
i have a pioneer "premier" peh-9660. ooh lah lah, 6.5volt preouts. anyways, my mids and highs have sounded off at higher volumes when i know i could push them further, but am satisfied with moderate volumes. i have made my wiring as clean as possible, big 3's, everything including deck ground directly to the batt and have fixed most of the problem but it still sounds a bit off. is there anything else i can do about it? would unplugging the antenna help? the only stock wire besides the antenna i have to the deck is the acc.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
Your mids and highs are sounding "off" at higher volumes because the preamp in the cd player is clipping. Pioneer does not use non-clipping preouts in these cd players. If youa re using any amount of bass / treble or built in eq this lowers the point of clipping even sooner.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
i have the deck at 2/5 volume when i set the gains. only eqing done is down, never up as its not meant to do that. whats a non-clipping preout anyways. who makes them?
Pioneer PEH-9660mp
Mb Quart PCE-216 biamped
JL 12W6v2
Sony XM-4026 amp for tweeters
Kenwood KAC-7251 amp for mids
JL-4100 amp for sub
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic