icon

punch hx2 blown! what subs now?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
[quote]Any ways, i was recently getting ready to put a lift on my jeep so i can fit 20s with 32inch off road tires. BUT my my 2 12" punch hx2s blew, i had a punch 7002 running 350 watt to each sub at 2ohms. and now one is distorting at low volume really bad and the other is dead.[quote]
What I put in bold is a good indicator that the system is/was mis wired. When a sub "blows" it does not just stop playing. I have never seen a blown speaker that wouldn't still play.
If you did indeed blow the subs, I would say that either you had the gain on your amp set improperly, or that somewhere on the pre-amp side you had some sort of boost circuit.
Remember, if your HU, or amp, has a 3Db bass boost feature, it will cause the amp to put out twice the power compared to having the Boost off at the same level.
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  

I've seen a voice coil separate from the cone before... That would result in a sub blowing and not playing...

~wayland
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
well if your goi8ng to replace the subs go with fosgate p3, they are 500 rms and 1000w peak, I have been driving 1000 w into 1 p3 in a ported box and sub still holding strong after 6 months. hitting 135db with 1 p3 in fosgate slot ported enclosure
turbotyphoon69 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
well i double cheked the wire but there is always the posibility, i think it might be the subsonic filter deal because the sub was moving way too much when it didnt need to. and the "blown" subs still excurciates(sp) right when u move it with ur hand, but when u put power to it, it doesnt move now the other sub sounds bad at low volume but at higher volume it sounds normal.
1993 GMC typhoon pearl white- 3in drop with 18s
1996 Grand Cherokee frost white- Lifted on 20in Rims and 33in All Terrain KO's
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
The Orion H2 will hold up, in a properly built enclosure, to lots of power. I've had good sucess with their line of products.
'85 Toy
vinspo 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not a pro in this area either, and this may not be the only problem. Most of the newer mono amps have a subsonic filter built in, if your amp does not have this feature than you will need to get an inline filter. I believe Dyohn had covered this subject with a link to a company to purchase filters from.

Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
Well, it depends on what your music source is.
FM Radio covers a frequency on average of 30/50 - 15k/18k Hz. So, if you listen to radio only, you do not really need a subsonic filter.
MP3 CDs usually are close to the frequency range of FM radio, depending on the compression.
Wave CDs(Kind that you buy) cover most of the audible frequency range, but still roll off at about 18K Hz up high, and 25/30Hz down low.
SACD cover the full frequency range from 10~35k Hz.
DVD audio covers about the same range as SACD
Do you use any bass boost features on either your HeadUnit or Amplifier?
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2004 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  

Poormanq45 wrote:
Well, it depends on what your music source is.
FM Radio covers a frequency on average of 30/50 - 15k/18k Hz. So, if you listen to radio only, you do not really need a subsonic filter.
MP3 CDs usually are close to the frequency range of FM radio, depending on the compression.
Wave CDs(Kind that you buy) cover most of the audible frequency range, but still roll off at about 18K Hz up high, and 25/30Hz down low.
SACD cover the full frequency range from 10~35k Hz.
DVD audio covers about the same range as SACD
Do you use any bass boost features on either your HeadUnit or Amplifier?

CDs can cover the whole frequency range (at least the low end) but most recordings dont have frequencys below 30 hz, like you said. I would at least buy some F-Mod subsonic filters. You can find these on partsexpress.com.

turbotyphoon69 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2004 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
i think im gonna purchase ANOTHER pair but this time with a filter, im pretty sure that wast eh problem because the sub was moving way too much for the music, it just didnt look right. And does any one have alink to one of these filters? And does anyone know how to bridge the 700s because i dont have the owners manual?
1993 GMC typhoon pearl white- 3in drop with 18s
1996 Grand Cherokee frost white- Lifted on 20in Rims and 33in All Terrain KO's
dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2004 at 6:18 AM / IP Logged  

A subsonic filter is just a high-pass filter with a very low cutoff frequency. You can get equalizers and crossovers with them. I looked on Google and I can't find just the hp filter. Of course, the filters are easy to build if you can read a schematic and solder ( http://www.users.bigpond.com/bcolliso/active-filter.htm), and the parts are between $5 - $20 total, depending on what you do for a box...

I would seriously consider Adire subs before RF though. Shiva will beat RF anything at a GREAT price, Brahma is even more amazing, but at a price most 17 year olds can't afford, though it's still a good price considering the performance.

2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic