icon

Omega Max vs. DEI?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SHOnoff 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2004 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  

I had asked earlier about a few different DEI remote start/alarm systems with the 2-way pagers (i.e. Viper 791XV, Clifford Matrix 3.5, & Avital 4400), but when I got to the alarm installation place today and talked to the guy about what systems they had and prices, he told me about this Omega Max system that was cheaper than a DEI and actually had a few more features.  Granted, it doesn't have the DEI name but he said it is still a very good system and they still offer a Lifetime Warranty on it (as they do with all their systems they install, like DEI, CompuStar, AutoPage, etc.).  He said I could add the Echo 2-way LCD Pager system to the Omega Max and it would be very comparable to the Viper/Clifford system but have a few additional features like the Anti-Carjacking feature built in (it's an option on DEI but costs more, he said).  And the DEI systems were going to run about $600-$700 installed vs. $525 for the Omega ($150 for the base system, $50 for the bypass module, $75 for the Echo LCD Pager add-on, and $250 for installation). 

Anyway, what have you guys heard about the Omega Max system and/or what experiences have you had with it?  Is it a good reliable system?  And does the 2-way Pager use AM or FM frequencies??  (I can't find that information anywhere, even on Omega's website).  Thanks in advance for your advice.

2002 Pathfinder LE 4x4 - stock
1995 Taurus SHO 5-speed - modded
hagmanti 
Silver - Posts: 304
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2004 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know anything about Omega Max, but my guess would be that it's AM based. Check out the claimed range-- if it's comparably short, that would be a good clue that it's AM.
Me
SHOnoff 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2004 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  

hagmanti wrote:
I don't know anything about Omega Max, but my guess would be that it's AM based. Check out the claimed range-- if it's comparably short, that would be a good clue that it's AM.
Me

The brochure says that the Echo LCD Pager extends the range to 1,500 feet.  Do you think that would be AM or FM?  Their website is www.caralarm.com and their GPS Tracking (Anti-Carjacking) Site is www.gps2000.com.

tjdurham 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2004 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
the maxx is a very good piece works well the range on the echo is ok its am range with all the 2 ways that i have done isnt all its cracked up to be but the maxx is very good
tj
SHOnoff 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2004 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  

No one else has had any experience with the Omega Max or any of Omega's other systems?  They're from the same company that makes Excalibur if that helps at all.  (Yes, I tried doing a search and I just can't seem to find hardly any info on the Omega systems.)

If my installer wanted $250 to install this Omega system ($225 for the system + $50 bypass module), how much more do you think it would cost for a Viper 791 or Clifford Matrix 3.5 and would it be worth the extra money?  (I know that the DEIs have a good reputation & that they have the FM pagers so they might have a little more range but they don't have the Unauthorized Transmitter Alert feature that the Omega has or the ability to upgrade to the GPS2000 system.)  Please help me out b/c I need to make a decision soon on which system I should get.  Thanks for any info you could share.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 18, 2004 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  

actually the new Responsder units ( Clifford, Viper ) are GPS compatible.... and incorporate code hopping so cloning isnt really an issue....   it all boils down to what you want to spend and which product you feel comfortable with..... i personally, have the Clifford 3.5 in my own vehicle and i really like it....

i always smile when i hear of other retailers comparing their product to DEI's... ( it's almost as good as... it's just as good as... etc.... )   doesnt the fact that they use DEI as a benchmark tell you something??

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
SoundFX411 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2004 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
I have been installing Omega products for about 12 years now and had NO problems with install issues. Even my customers are HAPPY with the product. The Omega MAX is a very good product. I have at least 100 units or more out there and have yet to have one come back. Don't get me wrong the DEI products are good as well but I try to stick with the product that has been good for me.
SoundFX

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic