icon

Is a Passlock Bypass needed 98 Transport

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
leroyer03 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
I just pick up a ProStart CT-3300 from Canadian Tire, and I was wondering if I need a Passlock Bypass for a 1998 Pontiac Transport Montana Extended. Looks like a fairly easy job but just wondering if I'm going to need the Bypass. I spoke to a guy at a Car Audio shop and he said that the 1998 doesn't have one, but from 1999 and newer, you needed the bypass. The GM dealer says he thinks it has a Passlock but didn't know which one. So I turn to the experts on this board to help me. Any help would be great. Thanx
Out!
daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
does your ignition key have a "chip" in the middle of it?
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
leroyer03 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  

My key has no chip in it. Is that how you can tell if it has PASSLOCK?

Out!
hayman 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  

I almost went with the Prostart 3300 too with it bieng on sale.  But the range was not long enough for what I wanted. Plus I really  wanted the  FM 2way option so it tells you if your van started on the remote.

I have the a 1998 transport  too and it needs no bypass.  When I bought the remote the guy checked his book too and said the same.  

I haven't had time to do it this week but hopfully I be able to get in my shop and do it next week.  Are you going to wire up the locks too?  If so your gonna need a couple relays.

Regarding your van how is the heater on it ? Mine has poor heat main reason I'm getting a remote starter. You really have to let it warm up good or else the front window gets frosted up! Never mind the all the side ones.

Also  have you had the intake gasket changed yet?  I did mine last winter all the 3.4 motors are bad for leaking that year among others.

leroyer03 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
I installed the same remote starter on my 1996 Caravan and the range was just fine. My van is parked 5 meters from the front door. My van has terrible heat aswell and I have rear heat but still takes awhile to warm up. I just bought the van and they just changed the intake gasket. I brought it back on Monday because I still smell the coolant when the engine gets warm. The reason for the coolant smell was the rad. Thank god this is all done under warranty.  Yes I will be doing the door lock and power sliding door. The manual says that I don't need any relays to set this up. Is there something I'm missing? Let me know. Thanx
Out!
hayman 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  

The wire info from AutoStart makers of Prostart says the door locks are a + polarity.   The Remote starter uses a - pluse not  a + one which we need. So if  they are correct  we're  gonna have to wire up a couple relays to change the unlock and lock out puts  that are  a  -  pulse to a + one. Not a big deal but still a bit extra time.  Same goes for that sliding door you could just hook up one of the Aux. outputs but again your gonna have to check and see what polarity it takes to trigger the sliding door.  

leroyer03 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  

Yes you are right. That sucks. Where can I get these relays? Does Canadian Tire have them? What is it going to cost me? Thanx again.

Out!
hayman 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  

Yes CT, auto parts stores or Princess Auto too would have them. At Princess Auto the automotive type 5 terminal relay for lights, alarms etc. is $3.99.  You can even buy the female terminal plug there for a couple bucks or just used spade connectors etc. 

leroyer03 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
Thanx for all your help. I will be doing this install after the holidays. I will let you know how it all goes. Thanx again.
Out!
hayman 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  

HOLD ON

Well while reviewing some posts I saw it mentioned that Prostart / AutoStart sells a inverter that plugs into the back of the unit.  So I took a closer look at the Wiring Schematic sheet and sure enough on the rear of the unit there is a place to plug in a "INV-200"  Door lock pulse inverter. It converts the - pulse to a +  one  for the locks.  Its also on the AutoStart website under Accesories.  So if its not expensive it looks like it would  be a simpler & quicker way  to go especailly if  you had to buy relays then wire them up etc. .   Years back when I installed remote starters  I remeber another brand  we sold used to have dip switches so you could change the the pulse from - to + on the door locks. . I guess Autostart  does the same  too now a days  with this extra plug in  inverter.  I'll check it out at CT and see how much it costs.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic