the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Dont ya hate it?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 6:47 AM / IP Logged  

I hate it when ppl come to me for an install of their junk!  yesterday, I did what was supposed to be a simple 2 amp install, change out all speakers, add 2 pair of tweeters, and put in an alarm--all in a 95 yukon. The speakers went well: the guy actually purchased some 6 1/2" pioneer coaxes with an oversize basket. The rear 4x10s were cool too. The "tweeters" were those awful harsh cylinders with 3M tape on the back. ew... but they install okay: front windshield pillars and all the way to the back in the corners. The guy had some cheap amp by Logic Soundlabs that was supposed to do 2000watts. It was a two channel amp. He wanted it on all his mids and highs... Then we had a choice out of a punch monoblock amp with a crossthreaded set screw on the 12volt + power input or an antique phoenix gold... one of the old 1994 model amps with the long white chassis that was all heat sink. This amp had its negative input post get so hot that it had once melted its holder and now hung sunken downward!

I got the mids amp in and it sounded like crap but luckily it was not a noise machine. I started doing the punch on his 4 kicker compvr 12's but i discovered that I couldnt budge the 12volt+ set screw... in fact my allen wrench was twisting! So, needless to say, that amp was a lost cause, along with my now twisted 1/8" allen wrench.

We were putting these ams underneath the rear seats in the Yukon. The phoenix was much to big to sit flat in the nice spot available so we had to make a pedestal for it. I got it installed and turned it on to find that it has this nice deep hum to it and everytime you do something like lock the doors using the power door locks in the vehicle, the amp would produce this nice 45Hz thump really loud. I guess that would be cool for the guy: he could drive around his block with the beat created from hitting the door lock switch... until his switch burns up and then he's just stuck!

The alarm went smooth as silk. I wish we had better products to install, ampwise.

rt2party 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
ouch... you are a true public servant. gotta do what you gotta d to earn some $$$.
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
s***y deal, PG amp defunct? because i wouldnt expect that from PG
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  
i get that crap all the time, , my town seems to be the hand me down capital of the world.  I now own a tap and die set, spare alen screw thingys for terminals, and a big garbage can for 70% of the crap they bring in that dosn't work.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Fosgate3 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
The PG amp was the product of a lot of abuse: poor voltage, mishandling, incorrect impedence, used to push anything and everything. It was a 4th hand-me-down, I'm guessing and was in poor shape. A tap and die would have been cool but a torch would have worked better and would have been alot more fun!  I felt sorta bad at the end cuz I got $250 for the whole install, including the alarm (yes, I charge sorta cheap but hey... its just a hobby and not my job!). I felt bad b/c the guys sh*t didnt work and he was anticipating something really good and ended up with something really poor. But then again, hey... itsnot my problem!
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
im not going to get into it but even if someone brings defective goods to me, I wont install them.    I bench test everything before I install it, and if the install dosent work out, then the problem is FIXED.    If i told anyone in this town   aww well its not my problem, My bussiness would fall apart.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
spl-Hz 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  

Ya what jeff said always bench used equipment before you end up with a headache.

You dont ever want to tell a customer it's not your problem. What you do tell them is to purchase some decent equipment and you can make it right.

Fosgate3 
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  

Oh wait! I am sorry if I conveyed across that I told the guy that... no no no no... I didn't tell him that. I told him to try to see if he can find a better amp and I would install it for free provided that I didn't have to reroute the wiring, etc. No, I would never tell someone that... I am a psychologist by trade. Mobile electronics is only a hobby that I have been into for about 15 yrs now. I used to do it for a living but quit as I went on after my graduate degree.

The amp was checked to see if it would come on. Normally, and not just saying this as a defense, I would do a full check on it with a test speaker and all. Yesterday, I didn't have the time. At that point, we had wasted away time working with the Rockford. Being on a time crunch, I had to gamble.

specialauto 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
it kinda makes me laugh... ppl are jokes...
its funny to sometimes when they put it like 10,000$ systems in 85 honda civics that get borking into the next week...
then they come back... OH u didn't hide it?.. ummm its your car man not mine
Canadian Auto Sound
Starting Installer
97Pathy 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
Hey "specialauto"  i see your from toronto.  I was wondering if you could help me out.  I heard of a big car show this summer in TO and aparently Orange County Choppers is comming up and everything.  Do you happen to know anything about it?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic