icon

Gauge pod on A pillar

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
0knowlege 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
I have a gauge pod on my pillar that looks realy bad, I was thinking of fiberglassing the whole pillar to smoth and make it look like it came that way. I know nothing of the proceedures or what I will need to do the job. Any suggetions??
rt2party 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  

read every post on all 24 (?) pages of this forum. that should get you started. if you have specific questions after you've done your homework there are some VERY tallented people here who would be glad to help you. you dont want to end up like the mustang dude, he was shamed off this forum after adding about 200lbs of bondo to the trunk of his ride.  ~Ryan

PS: welcome to the wonderful world of fiberglass

realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
Do you want to just build a whole new pod, or would you like to just mold the one you have to your a pillar?
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
0knowlege 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
Mould the one I have to the pillar cover.
Carbonb 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
That's really easy, just get some plastic stuff forgot the name. THat will allow you to cut out a hole and tack it to the pillar.
Then I would just add a small amount of plastic filler to seal all the holes. Then add a small amount of body filler, sand it smooth and then paint it according to your tastes.
0knowlege 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

WOW, all you people and no help. rt2party, I looked through half and found nothing but how to make a box, no help at all. If I wanted to build a box, I could. But building a box is lame. I'm into more practical uses. I am sooooo sorry that I offended you by asking for help, but maybe you should have kept your opinion to your self.

Carbonb, Thanks for the help I'll give it a try.

realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  

Hey man I think carbonb was talking about the duramix 40/40 they use it on here for all there plastic molding and hey man if you want to see some plastic molding to see a few step by step processes go to this website.   http://www.hzemall.com/main_page.htm   go to the misc projects and it will give you some pics and stuff to look at.

Hope that helps you man! Glad you joined up with us, give us some pics of your process we love to see other peoples work man!

Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
rt2party 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  

ok- since your too lazy to read, i'll tell you how to do it w/ fiberglass like your question asks- get some PVC pipe or otherwise make templates the size/shape of the gauges you want to install. (styrofoam works too)  take off the a-pillar trim piece. glue your templates in place (hot glue). stretch speaker grill cloth or similar cloth over the area to be glassed, hot glue it to the back of the trim piece. resin, glass, resin, glass, sand, sand, sand, sand, trim out holes, install gauges. i suppose at some point you would paint it as well. good luck. ~Ryan

PS: you may consider an attitude adjustment, every single person who posted was trying to help you but no one here is getting paid to baby you through your little project.

0knowlege 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  

rt2party

PS: you may consider an attitude adjustment, every single person who posted was trying to help you but no one here is getting paid to baby you through your little project.

The one who needs an attitude adjustment is you, if you would have read the post you would see that I already have the pod. Just want to make it look better than a peice just slapped on top. I guess that helping is babying, or even asking advise. 

As far as everyone else, I do apprieciate any help.

0knowlege 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
realitycheck wrote:

Hey man I think carbonb was talking about the duramix 40/40 they use it on here for all there plastic molding and hey man if you want to see some plastic molding to see a few step by step processes go to this website.   http://www.hzemall.com/main_page.htm   go to the misc projects and it will give you some pics and stuff to look at.

Hope that helps you man! Glad you joined up with us, give us some pics of your process we love to see other peoples work man!

Wow, this guy does some excelent work. Thanks for giving me the name, that helps.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic