icon

Lightest Sub Box Possible?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 1:20 AM / IP Logged  
(4) 10 inch eclipse alum's   1.6 cu ft per sub after port displacement.    the box had to be fully assembled in the car without the seats in it.   Its a civic coupe!   in order to get the box out you have to remove all the panels and the rear seat to get it inot the cab. then take the side boards off to seperate it into 2 boxes to get it out the doors! haha    now thats hard to jack.   the subs are helo in with allen head screws to stop from just taking the subs.    they would probably destroy them before taking them
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
Haha,  Niiiiiice...   I went the security screw route...  Rounded head Torx Screws,  with a button in the center....
http://www.hudsonfasteners.com/security.htm
~wayland
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
i shouldnt continue on with the topic of screws. but the thought of them has given me an idea to have my brother make a set or 2 for my sub when its installed.
i could ask him to design a screw head with its own driver bit so noone would have anything remotely nere mine.
thanks guys for that brain-fart, it was enjoyable.
rt2party 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
i dont think adding just resin to the inside of the sub box will do much but maybe help seal it. fiberglas ony works when you do resin and glass (no reason you coudnt do a layer or 2 of 1.5 oz mat on the inside of a 1/2" mdf box. couldnt hurt. glass is really only that stong in curves tho, not strait flat pieces. good luck, lets see pics when its done. ~Ryan
Carbonb 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2004 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  
I don't know if anyone has mention'd this before, but there is a lighter type of wood that can be used for speaker building.
It is basically MDF board, but lighter it looks like a very light white. I forgot where I read about it, but it's about half the weight of MDF, but more expensive.
I'd look into that if you are concerned with the weight.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic