icon

my bass question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
97Avalonxls 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
I currently have two 15 inch kicker comp vr's in the trunk, i have one mtx 8000 12 that was destined for my girlfriend's car, but never found it's home, would I have any increased sq by switching from my current setup (2 15's in 2.0cubes (each) getting 600 watts at 1 ohm from a directed 600d, the old, good model) or go to the one mtx, it'd be going into a sealed f/g enclosure, any size, has not been built yet, and recieving 400 watts at 2 ohms. I anticpate the loss of spl, but since recieving so many tickets, I rarely turn 'em up any more, soooo. what do you think?
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
I can see the start of a lot of different opinions with this question. Like you stated, you will lose a lot of spl. Going from 2 15's to 1 12 is a lot of difference. But the sq part, I don't think it will hurt you. The biggest thing is: will you be satisfied with the "feel" of the bass you will not get with the 1 12? If so, you should be ok.  For me? I wouldn't do it.
'85 Toy
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
And right you are, supradude!  That there will be opinions, that is...lol.  I say go for it for a lot of reasons:  1.  You are older now.  2.  You are running not much more than 200 watts now as it is (a guess, of course, going by your comment that you are purposely keeping it down).  3.  There should be a significant change in sound going to one sub, and that change will be for the better.  4.  The power will be cleaner at 2 ohms.  5.  This gives you a chance to build another enclosure and reset the system, which you want to do from time to time just for the sheer joy of doing it, if for no other reason.  Your cost will be minimal as you already have the pieces of the puzzle and power is already set up.
97Avalonxls 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
the second question is then....do I run the one mtx 8000 12" or just one of my 15" comp vr's? they are both dvc 4ohm. Which is the better speaker in what respects. I assume the kicker is a better SPL and that the mtx is better for SQ, however I base this on nothing other than gut intuition. A little help please?
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
I can't figure out what the point of switching is? Do you want to switch just because you have something?
About your getting tickets issue. Well, go to your amp and turn down the gain a little bit. Or even easier, just turn that little knob, or push that little button that attenuates the volumemy bass question -- posted image.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
How loud did you have the system to get pulled over?? People in my area never get pulled over for loud stereos.
97Avalonxls 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
you are missing the point. I have no problem controling the volume of my stereo, the violations have come, three in as many years and different counties here in Florida. I have never metered my car, but I'd estimate that at it's loudest it's probobly 130 dB, so I guess it was around 100 whe nI got tickets. But that has nothing to do with this. My question is, since I don't use all the SPL that I have at my disposal, why pay for it in trunk space. So, if I went to one sub, I want to know what would happen to my SQ. That is basically the issue. And pimpcavy, the tickets were all situations where my system was up from distance driving (interstate) and the nI'd get to the light at the exit ramp, or a gas station, and forget how loud it was. All with all four windows down. The moral of the tickets is I don't play the system that loud anymore hence......
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with Stevdart suggestion of "go for it" and the reasons he gives.
Additionally, I think you should model it out in a program like WinISD if you actually are interested in the kind of relative SPL / extension difference you can expect. I wish more people would use modeling programs to help them understand the effect of system changes like this.
Myself? I would probably put the 8000 in a 2ft^3 sealed box. It should sound excellent and get quite loud. ~105db+ at 40hz w/ 300w BEFORE cabin gain. Any louder and you'll have permanent hearing damage after not listening for all that long.
I don't really like hearing damage, do you?
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
This may come from the fact that im' nutsmy bass question -- posted image., but if there's back seats, adjust the floor so the 15's go under there, and the 12 in the trunk. Could make your night life more interestingmy bass question -- posted image.. But seriously, I would go with the 12 as well, but that probably has to do with the fact that I like 12's more than I do 15's mostly for the sake of clarity and I too, have limited size.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2004 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
SQ will likely improve going to one more expensive sub meant for more SQ applications. You should know that a large part of the equation will be your enclosure design.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic