icon

Is JL the best sub?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Lizardking 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2004 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
You will find that some think JL is the best because they don't know better. JL is a great company that make good products but certainly not the best. As DYohn said there is no such thing as the best, you need to listen and decide for yourself. I like Eclipse products allot more then JL and you don't find Eclipse products all over the net for sale like JLAudio. JLAudio must give there products out to internet sites because there are thousands of sites selling the JLAudio that our not authorized. That alone makes me not want to buy them...
Eclipse "Approaching Perfection"
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2004 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  

Lizardking wrote:
You will find that some think JL is the best because they don't know better. JL is a great company that make good products but certainly not the best. As DYohn said there is no such thing as the best, you need to listen and decide for yourself. I like Eclipse products allot more then JL and you don't find Eclipse products all over the net for sale like JLAudio. JLAudio must give there products out to internet sites because there are thousands of sites selling the JLAudio that our not authorized. That alone makes me not want to buy them...

JL Audio does not "give there products out to internet sites," (at least they say they don't; who knows, eh?). For that matter, ALL COMPANIES could be lumped into that very broad statement, other than those that are not as well known and/or don't have the capability to meet mass-market demands. So let's not get carried away and start misleading people with statements like that (even if it was unintentional). Is JL the best sub? - Page 3 -- posted image.

I have 3 10W6's (old style, not the new V2's or Ae's) and I couldn't be happier. DYohn said it best - no such thing as the best...

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2004 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart wrote:

Hey guys.

Thanks for the kind words.  However I am a big fan of JL Audio.  I believe they have some great engineers and make some of the top subs on the market.  Honestly I personaly see the W7 and the Brahma as equals, not as one better than the other.  Although the Brahma has a couple advantages, they have some advantages as well.  I also greatly respect the engineering they put into their speakers.  They were able to think outside the box and come up with a low distortion motor just like we have.  For this I give them their due respect.  There aren't many companies out there doing this, including many of the one's mentioned thus far.  People shy away from the W7 for the price, but don't downplay it's abilities because of it.  Honestly I believe it to be one of the best subs on the market, it's throne shared with a very select few subs. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

So nice of you to say good things about JL Audio, Steven. Even though your company is a competitor, you have constantly shown much class when discussing other brands of audio gear and always try to answer questions clearly and concisely. You could bash other brands and peddle your companies stuff instead, but you don't - thanks for keeping it real and "unbiased." You are a true asset to this forum. Is JL the best sub? - Page 3 -- posted image.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2004 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
The "best" sub changes from person to person. To some people Eclipse may be the best sub becasue it offers such great SQ. For some people it may be the RE XXX becasue of its great SPL numbers. For some people the best sub may be a sony xplod becasue thats all they have ever been exposed to, or all they can afford. Best sub will change from person to person. Which ever sub best suits your specific needs for a price you can afford would be the "best" sub.
blg748 
Copper - Posts: 194
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2004 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  

Its all on your prefence i coudlnt afford to purchase the sub i wanted (ADIRE AUDUO 12inch SHIVA), I got a deal 200CDn for a 12 Jl12w3V2 (300RMS) in  nice ported box i couldnlt be happier it pounds liek  a mofo with 200Watts Rms goign to it i couldnt be happier. Anyways JL is not the BEST thier is much better out their or the same that is LOWER in price. JL is pretty darn good but just pricy thats all if your rich do w/e you want buy your JL W7 you will be happy...

PS Does anyoen have a link were someone has compared the Jl 12w7 to a brahma. im trying to convince a buddy to buy a brahma instead of the W7. thanks

PopcornPlaya 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2004 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  

JL makes great product.  They are a reliable name in car audio, possibly the most reliable there is out there.  True, they are very expensive to the average consumer.  But, you have to ask yourself, how much do you actually know about these other companies?  How long have they been around?  Will they last as JL has because of their dedication to constantly improving their product?  What other manufacturers always being new, and improved stuff to the table that also have the reliability as JL?  While I can't justify the average consumer going out and dumping loads of money into JL stuff, I can say that they won't be disappointed if they do.  As for the W7 being compared to other woofers? I'd compare them to an IDMAX, a Brahma, among several woofers.  The main qualm with JL is the price.  Were they not so expensive, I'd be willing to bet for the performance and reliability that they offer, the vast majority of people would be running them. 

04mdx4sq 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2004 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
It's funny all the opinions you get when you ask for the best. Many different speakers do different things well. There are also many variables to take into account. Proper amplification, box size, material, bracing, craftsmanship, well sealed enclosures, etc. will all alter the sound of a woofer. I have heard some very inexpensive woofers sound very good in the proper enclosure. Without companies like JL, Adire, etc. to bring new technology to the woofer world by spend the R&D money, the woofer world as we know it stays the same. JL does a lot of development and manufacturing inhouse, this is more expensive, but results in much better quality control. Should these woofers be the same price as those that are made in whatever factory wherever they can do it cheapest this week? I believe there are companies out there that have the high pricetag because of the name alone, but in my opinion, JL is not one of them.
Most Wanted 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  

the best sub is the one your ear likes.

ive had people come in looking strictly for jl and i ask why, There words are my friend says there the best. Then i ask what type of subs there friend has and what do you know, they dont have jl.

There is No Best sub, without knowing specifics, how much room, Box size, Depth, Diffrent subs are made for diffrent reasons.

I remember Years ago, everyone would put down Pioneer Impp woofers, In the right box They Slammed, 90% of the people wouldnt put them in the right box, When people heard my car they were like what do you have in here, i would pop the trunk and they would just be like theres more then these 2 woofers.  The key was Proper box and proper power.

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
As far as eclipse, i think it is a good SQL sub, not the best. It is a good blend of the two catagories though. Someone said Focal, a great SQ company, and i have yet to be let down by them. Every product i have heard from them is nothing but fantastic. The Utopia series is wonderful, and their woofers pack a good punch and maintain great SQ. Eclipse on the other hand, i see a lot of SPL in it, moreso than SQ. It can pack a mean punch and still sound good, but clarity weakens as you push it to the limits, much like other woofers, but i have noticed doing similar tests on my Brahma and a Focal sub that the clarity stays the same at both minimum and maximum output. A lot of people think i downtalk JL just because of quality, which is not true. I maintain the fact that they are good quality woofers, but that they are not worth it and their is always something better for the same price or less. I support Stephen's statement, as the W7 and the Brahma are idealy equals, but that if you were to choose between them, who would you pick? Well for me, price tag makes the difference here, and the Brahma was my clear choice. Another good sub that no one stated was by Alumapro. Anyone tried out the M16 or the Alchemy RX. Well if you haven't, your missing out buddy. Those things are flat out awesome, maintaining constant SQ through peak excursion. Slight downside is the aluminum cone, which heats up and may be hot to touch, but a good user would use common sense DO NOT TOUCH HOT THINGS... As well as resonant engineering goes, they have good woofers, they are right up their with the other names mentioned. I've heard the XXX and i still think the Brahma's better, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Its all what your ear tells you, so you be the judge.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 27, 2004 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks Paradigm.  Since I work for Adire, I do have to be careful what I say about other companies as I represent Adire.  Plus we work a great deal with other companies behind the scenes in designing and production of their speakers.  I would hate for my comments to effect that in any way.

I do however think there can be a best speaker.  However a definition would be in order in the beginning.  The subs mentioned seemed to be all SQ subs, so I was basing my comments on that.  Now unfortunately SQ is subjective, so I like to take an objective approach to it.  Which subs provide the lowest distortion and with the flattest frequency response in a decent sized enclosure and do this at reference (or beyond) output levels?  Well with the technology used in our XBL^2 motor and JL's design, they will have less distortion than any other motor on the market previously.  That is why I believe these subs are the best.  However subjectively we have found that some people are so used to distortion in their subs, they don't like the sound of our drivers.  It doesn't sound as loud or as "full" to them because there are harmonic peaks missing that they are used to hearing.  I believe these people like their music more "surreal", which of course isn't a bad thing.  

Even Consumer Reports assumes the reader is looking for an objective opinion about the items they are reporting on, and not taking into account the subjective side of things. Is JL the best sub? - Page 3 -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic