icon

Can I drop JL 10w6v2's in my old enclosur

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigwise1 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  
I have a sealed box made to JL specs housing 2 10w3v2's and was wondering if I could drop 2 10w6v2's into their place or should I go with a bigger enclosure? The two 10w3v2's are being powered by a Zapco ref 500/1 and I plan on getting another one to power each 10w6v2. I looked at JL's website and the space requirements are the same but I'm new to this and I thought maybe adding a little more space would help out. I definitely do not want to go ported because I want my trunk space. Thanks
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
W6v2s generally require a larger air space to fully reproduce the sound that you would want, if you are going for the whole ported thing. I would go and build a bigger enclosure or have one built on specifications given to you by JL (sometimes they are a little off so find a place that deals JL and talk to the box builder because what the measurements JL gives you to make an enclosure and what will really sound good are two different things). There was a post on that previously on the website, check the history. Nice amp by the way - Zapco is some great stuff.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
the specs for these subs are the same if you are going for a sealed enclosure my loaded enclosures that i sell are the same, i can get them with the w3v2 or the w6v2, comes preloaded from jl
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
Just remember, the specs given might not be correct, as i have heard several problems like that. Go to a custom JL installer and have it done. If you can get the specs and post them on here, people are dying to know them so they can build the correct enclosure!
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
bigwise1 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
uthinkuknowaudio, i searched but i can't find that thread you're talking about.  do you have a link?
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
I searched my but off for this, you owe me one: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=45311&PN=6&tpn=1 That is it, just read up on it.
bigwise1 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

uthinkuknoaudio wrote:
I searched my but off for this, you owe me one: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=45311&PN=6&tpn=1 That is it, just read up on it.

thanks, you the man.

bigwise1 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  

I'm taking my car in today.  This is the spec range from JL's site.  So what I gather from that thread is that I should go on the bigger side of the range.  Sorry, for being a newb but since I'm getting 2 10's it would be doubled, right, so 2.00 cu. ft. (56 liters) ?  Thanks

Sealed Enclosure Range: 0.50-1.00 cu.ft. (14.0-28.0 liters)

I

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
If you really want to see the difference box size makes with your drivers you should download a driver/enclosure modeling program. Take time to learn it and your buying decisions will be more intelligent.
I suggest WinISDpro (freeware).
Generally the larger end of the recommendations, low qtc, will have a flatter, more extended response with better transient characteristics.
Smaller boxes can have higher peaked output, the box is small (nice!), and usually have better power handling.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
bigwise1 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
I talked to the JL authorized installer in my town who did the previous install with the 10wv3v2's which I bought from him and I told him I'm bringing my car in and about the 10w6v2's which I purchased online and he started going off about how they won't have serial #'s on them and they're seconds and they're not warrantied and are going to sound like crap.  Well, I got home and opened up my package from UPS and they have serial #'s.  I bought them from woofersetc and they warranty them for 1 yr.  Anyone hear anything bad about them?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic