icon

Can I drop JL 10w6v2's in my old enclosur

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
Woofersetc is the bomb, i don't know what stuff that guy was smokin. I use that site all the time and it is very ifficient. I received one damaged item from them, returned it ans swiped it out for another without any hassle. I highly recommend them. 60 litres sounds about right for 6v2's so that is what i would build, or around 2.25 cubes. Install is everything though, so make sure the box is well constructed.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  

They should sound the same unless they are broken. Sometimes the seller will take off the serial number. I guess you got lucky. Of course the dealer will tell you that because that can happen and he wants you to buy his product instead.

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
Very true, and his prices are probably jacked through the roof, especially on JL....what JL product isn't lol.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
bigwise1 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  
... wrote:
]60 litres sounds about right for 6v2's so that is what i would build, or around 2.25 cubes. Install is everything though, so make sure the box is well constructed.

Uthinkuknowaudio, 60 litres for 2 6v2's sealed or ported?  Isn't that alot for a sealed enclosure?

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
Uthinkuknowaudio:
hehe since you guys keep tossing around that post about JL's box dimensions that I posted a couple of weeks ago I thought i'd give you an update:
I built a ported box that came to 1.65 cubic feet (less woofer & port) with a 4x10'' port. Lined the thing with Fiberglass and sealed the sh*t out of it... actually i think it's been my best work so far.
To be completely honest, I'm rather underwhelmed. The woofer is ridiculously accurate... the transient response and overall SQ is incredible.. but its really not particularly loud.
Maybe I was expecting to much? A friend of mine who has a single 12W3 heard it and asked "is that all that thing has?" I was under-running a pair of infinity perfect 12s before this W6 and i think they would about blow this overpriced behemoth out of the water. I'm switching back on payday.
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
bigwise1:
All JL Audio dealers pull that song-and-dance about how you can't buy JL stuff online and what-not.
The shop down the road from me sells JL and they're always pulling that...
I've always had good luck bargaining with audio dealers though... usually I offer them the lowest price I can find online + $20 or so and they always agree. Even at 30 or 40 percent off the shop still 2x their money...
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
Here are the boxes I use for everyday street beat when building for the 10 inch w6v2 sub
1.68 cu ft internal
tuned to 38 hz
I have had very good results using this in a slot/vented enclosure.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
Here are the boxes I use for everyday street beat when building for the 10 inch w6v2 sub
1.68 cu ft internal
tuned to 38 hz
I have had very good results using this in a slot/vented enclosure.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
bigwise1 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
What about for sealed?  Went by the shop today.  I was late with my stuff and they were backed up.  They want to take the center brace out of the original box for the 10w3v2's and make a center wall in the box to make indiviual cubes because of the individual amps to each.  I kind of think they want to go this route instead of making a new box because they're short for time because of new years.  Won't  that center wall take up even more volume?  I also talked to the guy doing the install and asked about how the  10w6v2 is bigger than the 10w3v2 and how it will take up even more volume so the volume will be really small.  He said that the 10w6v2 with a zapco 500/1  going to each will sound better with the smaller volume and if I went with more volume  I would risk damaging them.  Does this make sense or is it bull$hit? 
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
Yea that makes sense...
smaller boxes allow woofers to handle more power, (more air pressure inside a smaller box, more counterforce on the cone)
whilst larger boxes do the opposite.
A zapco 500/1 is a beast amp, small sealed for that I think.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic