icon

4 subs to 1 two channel amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
01xtreme 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
I have 4 audiobahn 12's, which are dual 4 ohm.  They operate in either 2 or 8 ohm loads.  I have a 1600 watt power acoustik amp, which is only 2 channels.  I have been told to wire 2 subs to each channel in series wiring.  I would like to operate in 2 ohm loads for max. power.  2 of these subs hooked up to my old 1200 watt amp in parallel hit 143.3 db.  I dont really know how to wire in series for my application.  sorry no pics at time.  any information would greatly be appreciated.  I am building a custom box for my s10.   4 12's + 1600 watt amp= very loud.  Thanks.
01 extreme
Ocuriel 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
Can you list the amp specs?
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  

if your amp will go down to 2 oms bridged (which is not likely) then run two sets subs in series this will give you a set of two at 4 ohms and the other set of 2 at 4ohms now you can run this to each channel or run these 2 in parallel in to the amp and you will have one setup with all 4 at 2 ohms

01xtreme 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
the person who told me how to wire this originally told me not to bridge the amp( which I couldnt anyways)  How would I wire all 4 in parallel to 2 channels?  Any pics would greatly help.
01 extreme
01xtreme 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
  • FULL MOSFET POWER SUPPLY
  • PWM CIRCUITRY
  • FULLY-SELECTABLE CROSSOVER (HI/FULL/LOW)
  • 3-WAY PROTECTION CIRCUIT
  • 2W STABLE STEREO
  • TRI-MODE CAPABLE
  • VARIABLE LOW PASS: 40 HZ-120 HZ
  • VARIABLE HI PASS: 150 HZ - 1.5 KHZ
  • 18 DB BASS BOOST @ 40 HZ
  • FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 10 HZ - 30 KHZ
  • S/N RATIO: 97 DB
  • THD: 0.02%
  • SYSTEM DISTRESS INDICATOR
  • HIGH/LOW LEVEL INPUTS WITH FLOATING GROUND
  • 4-GAUGE POWER/GROUND CONNECTION
  • GOLD-PLATED RCA CONNECTORS
  • LINE OUTPUT
  • 4W RMS: 310 X 2
  • 2W RMS: 370 X 2
  • MONO RMS: 740
  • BRIDGED MAX: 1600
  • 01 extreme
    Ocuriel 
    Copper - Posts: 141
    Copper spacespace
    Posted: December 29, 2004 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  
    I would bridge the amp & wire all 4 subs to make the amp see a 4 ohm load. I'll try to post a pic of the wiring.
    Sancho 
    Copper - Posts: 162
    Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
    Posted: December 29, 2004 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  

4 subs to 1 two channel amp -- posted image.

that's the only option

Head Unit:Alpine CDA 9835
    6.5 MB Quart Pce 210
    Amp:JBL 80.4
    Amp:JBL 1200.1
    Sub:Adire Brahma 12 MKII
    forbidden 
    Platinum - Posts: 5,352
    Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
    Posted: December 29, 2004 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  

Here is the other and safer option. Note that this diagram is for one channel and two subs only, thus duplicate it for the other side. Your amplifier is not going to be 2 ohm mono stable and if it is wired as recommended above, you will be buying a new amp in short order.

Wiring Option #2

4 subs to 1 two channel amp -- posted image.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
    Ravendarat 
    Platinum - Posts: 2,806
    Platinum spacespace
    Posted: December 29, 2004 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
    Rob has it right here. The amp is not 2 ohm MONO stable only two ohm stereo stable. So running 4 ohm stereo is the only sane way to do this. Honestly its not reall a good match but this is the best way to work with what you have.
    double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
    dedlyjedly 
    Copper - Posts: 94
    Copper spacespace
    Posted: December 29, 2004 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

(THOSE) 4 12'S + (THAT) 1600 WATT AMP = A SYSTEM THAT DOESN'T PERFORM AS WELL AS YOUR OLD ONE!!!

don't believe me.....well...read on

okay, here's the deal...forbidden is in fact correct with his diagram above. obviously you will have 2 subs connected in this manner to EACH channel of the amp, hence we refer to the final load as "4 ohm stereo". forbidden was most likely correct (i have not confirmed) in assuming that the power akoustik will not handle a "2 ohm mono load". thus, the minimum stable load is "4 ohm mono".

i know im starting to confuse everyone, so my logic above amounts to the fact that you'll ONLY utilize all 1600 watts (peak by the way) @ a 4 ohm mono load!

the 4 ohm stereo load you will use will only yield HALF of the amp's potential!!!!

so instead of running 600 watts peak (i can only assume your old amp liked to exagerate power as well) to each sub like you had before, youre attempting to run 400 watts peak to each.

unless you were seriously overpowering the subs previously, i suggest a different amp (something that will deliver the power you want @ 2 ohm mono)

i know this sounds rediculous to some of you, but designing an efficient system is a lot more difficult than maximizing the watts!

MECP certified, 5yrs experience, you probably otta listen bitch!!
    Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic