icon

Comp Set for $300?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Vandals909 
Copper - Posts: 88
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 4:24 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 04 silverado and 2  12"IDQv.2's, the amps are a 500/1 for the subs and I plan to use either a 300/4 or 300/2 (which everone you guys recommend) for the Component set. My question is , which component set for under around $300 would be the best to go with those subs?  I was thinking either  jl xr650csi or the mb pce-216 which is best of those two? I'm also open to suggestion for other comp sets. Also what is a good headunit for this system? Is the pioneer 7600 good enough. Thanks in advance for the info!!
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
I have had bad experiments with JL comps so i would go with the MB Quarts...
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
Vandals909 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
What happened?  I have heard that about both of them now!
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
I like the Jl comps alot, but the MBs I have found lack a little mid around 100-170hz.     I run Alpine Type R's still and have been very very happy with them
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Vandals909 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
what is the better between these three,   jl xr650csi , mb quart pce-216 and Image Dynamics Chameleon CXS64?  Looking for the all around , more interested in smoothness and sound quality.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  

I have the Image cxs62's in my tacoma....love em Xtant 603x and an IDQ 10dvc

I dig image equipment....to bad the company's so F'ed up, customer service and warranty stuff.....you know!!!

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
I think Jeff is right about the quart's, they are a tad lacking in midbass when compared to those JLs.
However, I think the ONLY thing those JLs do well is midbass. I strongly disliked JL's as they sounded very thin, uneven, and undetailed through the vocal portion of the midrange.
Midbass can be fixed, shoot.. cabin gain actually took care of that 100-170 for me to the point I actually notched a parametic band down a couple db there. Thin and sloppy midrange can't be fixed as easily.
I haven't had a chance to hear the ID components, but around that price range I like the higher end memphis or diamond drivers better than the JLs hands down. It was a close call for me between Memphis, diamond, and quart. I basically ended up picking quart just because of the coax mount capability.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Vandals909 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 2:38 AM / IP Logged  
I can get anything from either a/d/s or PPI or Orion and Directed for a really good price. I think I have decided for sure to go with the 12IDQ v.2 d4 for the subwoofer. I dont think any of those other companies make anything that has the sound quality that the IDQ does right? Also what comp set and amps would you recommend from those 4 companies up above? I want a 6.5 comp set and amps to run them and my IDQ's. And with the price I can get them at, the price doesnt matter. Thanks for the suggestions!
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 2:57 AM / IP Logged  
Many subs have better SQ than the IDQ. They usually cost at least $100 more though per driver. Many are either less efficient or aren't as small box friendly.
I'll let someone else field the amp question - I've never used those brands. My advice is to shoot for no more than the RMS rating of the drivers for the amps. Don't buy crap amps, set the gain correctly, and you should be fine.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Vandals909 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 3:32 AM / IP Logged  
Are the a/d/s 346cs a good comp set?  Also are the orion amps good? Also I'am still curious about the IDQ question from the post before?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic