icon

How many cubic feet do I need?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
theecigarman 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
I have an old RF 8 inch sub that I am going to be playing with. How many cubic feet does the box have to be on the inside. I am planning to run this off an Alpine Mrv-F450 5 channel @ 200 rms. Should I port it or seal it. I am not looking to vibrate the ground just have some nice mellow base. Thanks for the help.
maaudio1 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
Nice smooth bass, I would go sealed. I used to run Rockford 8" subs. Recommended airspace sealed was .35cu ft to .5 cu ft internal. I remember running two 8's in .86 cu ft common chambered and they sounded really good.
2004 Mazda 3s Hatchback
2- MTX 4500 8" subs powered by MTX 251D
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  

Just a FYI on how you can decide on sealed vs. vented for any given woofer:  find out the EBP (a number) by using Fs (resonant frequency) and Qes (electrical Q).  The equation is Fs / Qes = EBP.  An EBP of 50 and under is best sealed, higher numbers in the 70's and above are best vented.  But you can work it out either way (with trade-offs) if the number falls between 50 and 90.

ex. Fs- 38.10   Qes- 0.40  = EBP of 95 which says this example needs to be ported.

chris_h 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  

stevdart,

when using the equation you posted, what are the trade-offs of using a woofer in an enclosure different from what the EBP is telling you? (ex an EBP 50 sub in a vented enclosure). Does it have to do with performance of the sub (SPL or SQ) or can you damage your sub?

When you step on the brakes your life is in your foot's hands
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  

chris, you can always damage your sub by using a vented enclosure if set up without safeguards (subsonic filter, incorrect volume of box/port, etc.).  With that out of the way, to answer your question as best as I can....no, you won't do any harm.  In what I've seen, if a subwoofer's EBP calls for a sealed box it means that the sub will respond well to the lowest frequencies that are useable without needing the help of venting.  Whereas, a woofer that calls for venting just won't perform well if placed in a sealed box, generally losing a lot of low-end extension.  50 is on the line between the two, and I would look at it in WinISD if it were me to see which way would be more workable in the particular car.  Going vented normally means the box will be a lot larger, and with a low EBP such as 50, the port size might have to be unreasonably large.  I would only be guessing if I were to try to figure out what differences there would be in the quality, if any, but I know that the overall volume sizes would be much larger in the vented box.

I'm just a newbie, though.  I know some of the information but not all the reasons why.   ;#)

MonXing 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
Let's say my sealed enclosure is 1.5 cu.ft , question is an I fill the whole area inside the box with baffling material for sound absorption?  What i mean my fill is to fill it up until it's full.  Does the filling material negates the requirement of 1.5 cu. feet of space for your sub?  Nyubie here!!!
stevdart 
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
The sound waves take longer to get through the polyfil, so it makes the woofer react as though the space inside the enclosure were larger.  You could make a box at 1.2 net ft behave like a box with 1.5 ft by stuffing with polyfil.  A 1.5 ft volume would behave more like 1.8 cu. ft. when stuffed.
MonXing 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Stevdart.  I'm happy with my sub the way it is now (polyfilled around) but I got hold of a bunch of stuffing material, so what happens now if my enclosure is suddenly acts as if its 1.8 cu ft? Will I get rounder bass? cleaner low freqs?
stevdart 
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
You may get deeper bass extension (lower lows).  It doesn't hurt to try it because you can always go back in and take it out.  And there's a good chance you won't hear any difference at all.
MonXing 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  

Yes you're right.  The only thing I'm worried about is the sub might not be as screw-tight as the first time.  But I'll try it and maybe like you said I might not even hear any difference.  No matter what I still think it's going to be time-well-spent!!  Thanks. 

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic