icon

My project in the works, opinions please

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Carbonb 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 2:11 AM / IP Logged  
Lol, I am asking anyone who wants to answer.
I am going to make the exact type of enclosure for 2 of my 12" subs for my trunk, and I think that putting in a wood floor and then screwing them into it is the only way to secure it so it doesn't fly around.
My amp rack is close to being finished and looking INSANE! I like it, and I wired some blue neons to my trunk light :P
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  

Awesome man, hey get us some pics if you can.  Yeah I think that a wood floor would be a really good idea.  Also give you some extra support instead of that cardboard material that usually in there. You could screw it in or you could even drill holes run bolts through them and then bolt it to it. Make sure you just seal with silicone though.

Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
~AFAccord~ 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
Hey Chris, that box is looking awesome!  Can't wait to see it finished.  I had a question about this false floor you guys are talkin about.  Say  I cut some MDF to fit my trunk floor, I'm worried about it rattling over some rough bumps, are you suggesting that I should silicone it to the floor? like permanently? lol.   Thanks for all this info you guys are posting.  Later
Black Cherry
"Experience is something you never get until just after you need it."
Carbonb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
For the wood floor I had the same idea. I wasn't sure if it would be bouncing up and down when I drove.
I am thinking about putting a couple of screws maybe to keep it connected to the frame of the car.
Not sure if I should do it though. I doubt it will even move that much if you cut it so it has a tight fit.
I was just going to rely on everything being on top of it so it doesn't move. I have seen people build false floors before and nothing bad came of it. Meaning they never said that it rattled.
Just test it out and if it rattles, put some silicone, some weak stuff so you can pull it up easy.
~AFAccord~ 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
Hey, thanks.  I'm not even all that worried about the bumps, as much as the vibration from the sub itself if it's mounted to this floor.   I've learned that when dealing with subs, things have a way of making themselves become "un-stuck."  I am not too keen on using screws because a hole in my gas tank for fuel line just doesn't sound good. My project in the works, opinions please - Page 2 -- posted image. lol   I am curious if I might just get some thick coats of under-car rubber sound deadener painted or sprayed on where the floor would rest.... don't know if that rubber would do the trick, but i have a feeling I'm about to find out...
Black Cherry
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah with your massive gargantuan sub of death it might rattle, but I would think you could just take like some rubber bump stops and glue them to the bottom just thick enough to keep it off the trunk would do.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
~AFAccord~ 
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  

realitycheck wrote:
...your massive gargantuan sub of death it might rattle...

LOL  I've never heard it called that before!  I like to think of it as "the great deal I got an a kick a**  SQL sub."  It truly does feel like I'm hauling cinder blocks in the trunk.  This car is built to be well rounded, including performance, so being able to drop close to 200 pounds from the trunk for track night is a big deal!  That's the one reason I haven't considered a custom setup until now.  But I do appreciate the wonderful adjectives you've used. My project in the works, opinions please - Page 2 -- posted image.  I kinda hoped it would hold down the floor, but I'm pretty sure that won't be the case.  Plus I drive like I stole my own car, so yeah...

If you're interested in seeing some more pics, or seeing the interior that got me the quasi-sponsorship, here's my cardomain link:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/workofhart

Be sure to leave a post a let me know you dropped by.

Later man.

Black Cherry
chris_h 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
Just checked out your link, AFAccord, nice car! Did you do the fiberglass work for those gauges?
When you step on the brakes your life is in your foot's hands
Carbonb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
Well the way my car is I doubt I will hit a gas line. I don't think that any run right near the wheel well.
Anyways, I don't plan on pushing the bit an inch in and I am probably going to use a screw because that sounds like the only option.
Since if you are going to glue it down I have a huge carpet that lays down in my trunk and I want it to sit on top, so I am going to lay the carpet and then tap the hole, then screw through the hole :P
I started it today for one of the subs. I used so much freaking resin making the mold. I mean good lord I didn't think I should of used as much as I did. It was around 40 oz.
I just had 1 layer of fiberglass cloth on there, when I realized it was a huge amount of resin I decided to basically finish it off and put 2 layers of fiberglass cloth and around 2 1/2 layers of fiberglass mating.
It should be done with maybe 1 more layer and then I can pull the fleece over it.
~AFAccord~ 
Posted: January 07, 2005 at 4:23 AM / IP Logged  
Nah, I wish I did.  That is a mold of ABS Plastic I had done.  In one of the pics you can see it doesn't quite reach all the way up the pillar.  If I can find  a way to get the same ABS (stock plastic) texture on the fiberglass, I might try extending that top piece to fit nicely.  Thanks for checkin it out though. Later
Black Cherry
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic