Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 3:26 AM / IP Logged  
tuanmerica??!!??!!?? WTF?
bigwise1 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  

~AFAccord~ wrote:
Hmmmm...  I belive tuanmerica is trying to describe the doppler effect.  Bigwise, I hope this isn't what you are asking about. lol  If you're riding down the road with your trunk open, then you have other problems to worry about...

no, i was describing what happens when parked. 

~AFAccord~ 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  

Bigwise, I didn't think you had any problems like what tuanmerica described lol.  Really I'm not sure what he was talking about...  After reading his post again, I withdraw my comment about the dopler effect... he doesn't know WHAT he's talking about.  The whole fan thing?? um.. NO.  That's just your voice reflecting off the fan blades back at you, and has no relevance to this post.  Sorry to throw that at you. 

Did my first post help any?  Lemme know and maybe we can carify it better.

Black Cherry
"Experience is something you never get until just after you need it."
bigwise1 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  
afaccord, you said it's probably distorting when the trunk is closed too. so do you think it's safe to play music at the same volume with trunk closed compared to when the subs start distorting with trunk open?
~AFAccord~ 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
Generally speaking, yes.  All speakers have some degree of distortion.  At the same volume, the subs will distort more with the trunk open since there's hardly any pressure outside the box controlling the sub.  This is when there's a much higher risk of blowing your woofers.   As long as it doesn't sound grossly distorted when you're inside the car with the trunk closed, you should be ok.  When listening inside the car under normal environments (trunk closed) most subs will seem to flatten out in volume, and become very sloppy when they're at their max.  Just get to know your subs and learn what they are capable of and you'll be alright.  And keepin the volume down when you do decide to open the trunk is a good idea. newb question about sound with trunk open - Page 3 -- posted image.
Black Cherry
"Experience is something you never get until just after you need it."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
Some of you guys are starting to convince me that the air in the trunk is controlling the sub to a degree....  But I still think if the sub enclosure were built properly for that sub, the volume inside the enclosure would control the cone without any help needed from the front.  His whole system should be gone over with a fine- toothed comb.
bigwise1 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2005 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  

Totally off topic and I have searched also but since you guys are here I would like your opinion with my particular setup and situation.  I'm already thinking about changing my enclosure.  I'm looking for something that hits a little harder.  I'm thinking about either keeping my 10w6v2's and going with a ported enclosure or spending more money and getting 12w6v2's in a sealed enclosure.  I would keep my amp setup the same (2 zapco 500/1's for each sub).  Is that enough power for the 12's?   Also, I have a friend who says to get a zapco preamp.  Would a preamp make a difference?  By the way, my deck is a Clarion  DXZ945MP.

bigwise1 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2005 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  
4got to ask.   With the amount of power I'm running to the 10w6v2's, would going with a ported enclosure make them more susceptible to distortion since ported enclosures make them more efficient?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 07, 2005 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  

I don't think this question was asked here:  do you know how your sub's voice coils are wired and how the two subs are wired together?  Two possible ways shown below.

newb question about sound with trunk open - Page 3 -- posted image.

...or are they wired separately?  I'd want to know what impedance(s) we're talking about with this setup.

Manual is here http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/W6v2_MAN.pdf

bigwise1 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2005 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

I don't think this question was asked here:  do you know how your sub's voice coils are wired and how the two subs are wired together?  Two possible ways shown below.

newb question about sound with trunk open - Page 3 -- posted image.

...or are they wired separately?  I'd want to know what impedance(s) we're talking about with this setup.

Manual is here http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/W6v2_MAN.pdf

They are wired separately.  Each has it's own 500/1 amp at  2ohms.  I'm not sure what impedance, I'm a newbie.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic