icon

which sub is better?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wyldman671 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
generally speaking, which sub is can reproduce quality sound 12'' or 15''? and of these two sizes what manufacturer would you recommend for good clean sound,hard hitting,and overall good pricing.i have heard kicker very frequently,but have also been told mtx. any suggestions?
tony
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  
Of those two I would say a 12 would lean more towards SQ, and a 10 would be even better. But it really depends more on the brand of sub rather then the size. Some good SQ companies to look at are Image Dymanics, Infinity, Elemental Designs and Adire subs all offer great SQ. Kicker is more of a SPL styled sub.
Lizardking 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
Eclipse 7100,8100 and 9100 series pretty much any size Excellent SQ!!  Adire  and Elemental Designs would be a good choice and there cheap! Diamond Audio subs sound pretty clean. What's your budget?
Eclipse "Approaching Perfection"
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

I have an infinity kappa perfect 12" sub.  It is not the loudest, but it sounds really, really nice.  Stick it in a sealed or bandpass enclousure, and it'll sound good

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  

gotta start with budget...what are you looking to spend?  or maybe I should ask, what is the maximum you're willing to spend?

usually 12s will give better SQ than 15s, but there are of course some exceptions.  also, like Drewt I am very impressed with the Kappa Perfects.  I prefer them in sealed enclosures, with a moderate amount of power going to them.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
Drewt wrote:

I have an infinity kappa perfect 12" sub.  It is not the loudest, but it sounds really, really nice.  Stick it in a sealed or bandpass enclousure, and it'll sound good

Bandpass enclosures weren't designed to reproduce good sq..I would highly suggest not throwing any pair of subs in a pre fab bandpass enclosure. It will sure take a toll on your subs and sound like a fart cannon IMO. If you're leaning twoards sq..go sealed. Better to build a sealed box yourself to manufacture specs than to just throw it in a prefab box. If you want SQL or SPL id suggest ported. But really research and do your homework before making a ported box.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
Drewt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  

I've got it in a sealed box with about 1.1 cu ft. of airspace.  It is driven by an Alpine MRD-M501 amp, which pushes 578 watts (Alpine bench tests the amps in the factory and gives you a certificate of the actually RMS power....nice)

It really sounds nice.  It adds so much depth to the music, and it reproduces bass so accurately.

Now, I just need to add a cap to it, and then I'll be in good shape.

Ok, back to the box thing.  I've got a sealed box now, and it's nice and all, but I want to at least try something more complex.  I was thinking about a bandpass, but instead of having ports on one side and sealed on the other, have a passive radiator (or possibly 2 10" radiators) on one side, and a small sealed enclousre on the other.  That way I'll get the SQ of an acoustic suspention setup, and the SPL of a passive radiator system.  I may just try it, then if it sounds like crap, I'll put the sub back in the sealed box.....

-Drew

Drewt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  

hmmm....couldn't find an edit function.....oh well.....

The big downside to the bandpass mentioned above is that the frequency responce would probally be really bad in the low end.....which is really where the perfects shine.....It says it'll go to 18 Hz, not shure how acurate that is, since I don't have the necessary equiptment to test it.....

-Drew

(btw....if there is an edit function...someone please let me know.....I would feel dumb)

pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
You can only edit after you reach a certin amout of posts. Newbies cannot edit thier posts.
Drewt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  

ok, thanks.  That seems like an add thing to have as a "privladge"......oh well

Anyone have input on that box I was talking about above?  I just talked to my box-builder person (personal friend that helped me with the box I have now), and he says he isn't up to building another box now, since he already has to build a complex, dual woofer bandpass box for a friend.  So I will probally never build the box, at least not until summer.

Thanks

-Drew

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic