icon

2002 Lincoln Town Car OEM In-Dash CD

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skyline_dragon 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
Hey everyone! Here is the situation: My friend wants a cd & tape combo for his '02 Lincoln Town Car which only has tape & radio right now. We decided that we should just get an Ford OEM unit so we don't have to worry about theft as much as if we got an aftermarket unit. Anyways, as I was doing research, I found out the 02 Town Car never had an option for an in-dash CD. The only players in them were AM/FM/Cassette w/ a CD changer in the trunk. I've called several dealerships to confirm and they mentioned to me that they don't have part numbers at all for an in-dash CD/Cassette for the Town Car, so they don't exist. As I look at the CD/Cassette/Radio combos that came in the other Ford models, they have the same connectors on the back and the same shape and maybe size (just eying it). The only difference is that some mount on the bottom and some use the Ford removal tool, which the Town Car needs. The units which need the tool, the holes look like they are in the same place as the current unit in the car. Please, Please, someone tell me that the Ford radios are somehow "plug & play". I hope I can just swap the unit out. If someone could help me out with this problem, it would be a lifesaver! Thanks in advance to all those who reply!
tech460 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  

Here's the problem you have. Most Town Cars have factory amps and if yours does, you will only be able to use a radio from certain vehicles (98'-02' Grand Marquis, 01'-02'  Escape, 98'-02' Continental, 98'-02' Town Car, 98'-02' Crown Victoria). If a radio out of one of these has the option your looking for, it should be OK as long as the mounts for the radio are the same as yours. You could use a diffrent radio but you would have to do some wiring manipulation which you said you did not want to do.

skyline_dragon 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply! I don't think the unit my friend has in his car is one with an amp. How can I tell? It is the basic one with AM/FM/Cassette and CD changer controls. I know there is a premium package with the Alpine head unit that looks the same, but with the Alpine logo. I thought that was the only one with an external amp. Anyways, let me know. If there is an external amp, where is it located? Back seat/trunk area?

tech460 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  

There should be a 8 pin plug behind the radio. If so, unplug it and listen for a lack of bass. If so, you have an amp.

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 07, 2005 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
The actual problem with this vehicle, is probably just clearance.  Pull the deck, and see if the air vents would be in the way for a cassette/CD combo unit.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 07, 2005 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  
Your friend's air vents are probably in the way behind the deck for a combo unit to fit.  Pull the deck and take a look.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
skyline_dragon 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the help tech460 & geepherder! We decided that it was going to be too much of a pain to go through all this. We are probably going to just throw an OEM compatible CD changer in the trunk, like Ford did. Am I getting myself into something even more difficult? LOL. I just hope Ford ran the cable for the changer. I doubt it for some reason. Any got any tips for the CD changer? Running cable or mounting it?
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

I'm pretty sure Crutchfield sells a USA Spec changer for the towncar.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic