icon

Need advice, sub/amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jdog0411 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2005 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  

couple of questions about that amp..(I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to amps/subs, but I'm learning quick)..how would I set this amp up? I would run four channels into the 4 ohm satellites (56W RMS) and then bridge the two sub channels into a single channel at 2 ohms (wiring the sub in parallel)..what the wattage be on the bridged channel?

2004 BMW 325ci.
Alpine CDA-9885
JL 300/4 and 250/1
JL XR 5.25 comps
Infinity Kappa Perfect 12
jdog0411 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2005 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
......one more random thought....how do Infinity amps stack up as far as quality of construction, signal clarity..etc? There a million brands out there and want to make sure I get a quality amp, at least within my budget constraints. If the Infinity is a good one, I think I will go with the 5760a. Seems like a lot of amp for the money..
2004 BMW 325ci.
Alpine CDA-9885
JL 300/4 and 250/1
JL XR 5.25 comps
Infinity Kappa Perfect 12
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2005 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  

you are correct about the satellites--it would 56W RMS per channel.  For the sub, the 2 channels get bridged into one, and it puts out 287W RMS.

the infinity amp is pretty good.  there will always be skeptics, no matter what brand it is, but I've been pretty impressed with tthese amps and this one in particular is definitely a lot of amp for the money, as you noted.  Usually if the amp has a power rating conforming to the new CEA-2006 standard, that's a pretty good indicator that it's a solid amp.

What kind of sub are you going to be getting?  specifically the model number?  If it's a single voice coil sub, then as long as it's a 4-ohm voice coil that'll work perfectly for the amp.  Most amps (including this one) can only support a 4-ohm load when bridging two channels.

With that in mind, I should mention that If the sub has two voice coils, then you'd want to get one that has 8-ohm voice coils or 2-ohm voice coils.  With the 8-ohm version you'd wire the two voice coils in paralell, and present a single 4-ohm load to the amp.  Or with the 2-ohm version you'd wire the voice coils in series, and still present a 4-ohm load to the amp.  Many DVC subs have 4-ohm voice coils, so make sure you steer clear of those.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic