icon

Passlock 101

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
the passlock systems seem to be an installers worst nightmare. We all hit a deadend sooner or later. I was hoping to start this thread so that we can all post what we know about the Passlock systems and any quick fixes. That way when we need help it will be easy to find answers. Thanks in advance!
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
jaurora 
Silver - Posts: 429
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
What problem is there with passlock? There are 2 wires. If you use the proper bypass kit there wont be any problems.
MECP certified (If it really means anything)
Jeremy
jaurora 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
What problem is there with passlock? There are 2 wires. If you use the proper bypass kit there wont be any problems.
Jeremy
tuckie 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
if i remove the wires on my battery to connect wires for an amp, will it activate passlock on my radio to prevent it from turning on? (2002 grand am gt)
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
Passlock has nothing to do with the radio... it is a passive anti-theft feature ( fuel shutoff ) that allows your car not to be hot wired.... and no disconnecting the battery will not effect the Passlock circuit in any way.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
Hey Tuckie. What you are refering to is Theftlock. This is the anti-theft feature of the radio. If the red LED on your radio flashes with the ignition turned off, then the system has been activated. The radio will go into lock if you disconnect the battery. See your owner's manual for the car for all the details about the system.
sparky
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
I was hoping to keep this thread clear of questions. Some problems that I've heard have been.... Security light comes on when using key to start car... Car doesn't start with bypass module... stuff like that. So have you guys ever encountered a problem and how did you fix it? If you haven't had a problem good for you.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
jasontrucks76 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2005 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  

Yes my security light comes on when I installed a remote start??? Any ideas?

Jasontrucks

Check the facts and try again!
jaurora 
Posted: January 07, 2005 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  

1) What type of vehicle is it?

2) If the remote starter works without the key you have the bypass hooked up correctly. You may possibly have the Ign. wires on the remote start hooked up to the wrong ign wires on the vehicle.

3) If the remote starter doesent work without the key, then you have the bypass box hooked up wrong or may not even be hooked up at all.

Jeremy
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 07, 2005 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  

i've never had a Passlock issue yet ( OK one, but my guy forgot to solder the Passlock ground wire so we cant blame GM for that )..... if you use a good quality bypass module like the 555L you shouldnt have any problems either....

Passlock issues tend to vary with the quality of the module used and the quality of the RS being installed....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic