icon

Passlock 101

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jasontrucks76 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  

You guys seem to know your stuff and by no way am I saying the pass lock is problematic! Im shure that the error is mine but other than soldering the connctions what may have I done to cause the security light to stay on? With key start or remote start.

Thanks JT.Passlock 101 - Page 3 -- posted image.

Check the facts and try again!
floaterr 
Silver - Posts: 383
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2005 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged  
JiggaFan wrote:
I tried to use a PASS23 on a 2003 blazer...module blinked 4 times like it learned the code or whatever, but still didn't stay cranked.
So I did the ol' school Omega bypass which is basically a VATS-type bypass once you learn the resistance value with the key on.
Although it remote starts successfully, I still get a security light during remote start and after the driver inserts the key. But if you start it with key and not remote start, then no security light.
I drove the car on the freeway about 5 miles after a remote start to see if the security light would cause any performance issues, but it didn't. So I just told the owner that the light would be on b/c the car wasn't started with the key, but it didn't hamper operation/performance of the vehicle.
I now have a IBGMBP module that i'll try on the next GM passlock vehicle I get. I don't know about this PASS23...i was told it was supposed to replace the PLDATA2004 modules and what not, but now I see where it is for "some GM Passlock vehicles".
Mine did the same thing till I realized you had to go all the way to "start" then release to "ign". Since anti grind installed this was not an issue. Just an FYI
dmguertin 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2005 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 1999 GMC Jimmy that the Security lite would stay on if remote started. I replace the universal bypass module to a Data bypass (bypasskit.com) GMBP. It is working fine now. Easy to install etc.
JiggaFan 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2005 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
well, i found out another *INSTALLER ERROR*...ID 10 T error.
I was reading the switch settings on the PASS23 settings as "down" when the arrows in the shaded area were pointing "up". for some reason, the shaded area (regardless of the arrows in them) jumped out at me as th pin positions when actually the shaded area has arrows that are pointing in the direction of the non-shaded pin heads.
i've since used both modules successfully. i used the PASS23 on an '01 Aztek. and I used the GMBP on an '00 GMC Sierra. no security light issues or anything.
knukonceptz 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
I do not use a passlock mod when installing in gm instead I just tap into the passlock and measure the ohms of the wires with the vehicle running. There is three wires to pass lock and you have to measure between the yellow and black and then add the two readings together and divide by 2 . This will give you what size resistor you will need. After that you will have to jump the resistor from the yellow *computer side wire* to black. Hope this helps out. Thanks.
jaurora 
Silver - Posts: 429
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
This method will totaly bypass passlock all in all. The reason of using a module is so the passlock still remains active after remote start.
MECP certified (If it really means anything)
Jeremy
mxxmikexx 
Silver - Posts: 796
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
you can use a relay and use the same method as knukonceptz described, and it will work perfectly, and still retain the passlock integrety. i dont understand why everyone uses modules on passlock, when all you need is a resistor and a relay and you can save alot of money at the end of the year instead of buying interface modules. ive been doing it this way ever since gm came out with the passlock system and have never had a problem. actually the whole adding together and dividing by two is a little unnecessary, simply start the vehicle, cut the yellow wire, measure resistance between the black wire and the key side of the yellow wire, and now you have your resistance reading.
Mike Battaglia
Specialized Car Audio
Bensenville IL 60106
eastwoodblack 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
The find the value and divide by 2 method is fairly accurate in getting the correct reading. I was doing a RS on a 2004 tahoe and was getting a reading of 1760 in run and when i go to start, then back to run, it read 880. Passlock system can be a pain if you dont do the correct steps the first time. I use the passlock2 module from omega and the security never comes on. The module is very inexpensive and you can hit the value on the head with it....
TJ92Civic 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  

I just installed a starter in a 97 Cavalier, and I tried the relay/resistor method.  Didn't work out for me, so I bought a dei 555l, and that worked.  Only thing is that it seems to "forget" the code if you don't use the key last before remote starting it.

example, shut car off, go inside or what ever, start car with remote, decide not to go out, shut car off with remote.  It doen't seem to remember the right resistance, or maybe it changes?  You start it again with the remote and the theft light comes on for a little bit, then after a while it wont start.

But it is fine under normal use.

tim

jaurora 
Silver - Posts: 429
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
When it comes to bypasses, I like to use the Universal Learning Bulldog bypass, connect the orange and yellow wires to the passlock wires, Hook up the +12, -, and -during remote start and thats it. Start the car with the key and within 30 seconds the bypass learns the resistance and your good to go. The best part is these run from $15-20 dollars and they do transponder and all others as well.
MECP certified (If it really means anything)
Jeremy
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic