icon

Pioneer Shallow 1200W (TS-SW124D)

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nickvr 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
Hi. I bought a Pioneer 12" shallow today and spend most of the day building an enclosure for it. I ran out of time and thought I'll put it in action without painting the inside with the fiberglass resin. The box is also smaller than the recommended size but the pickup does not allow for bigger (approx 30% smaller).. The thing is it really sounds horrible. I had to turn AMP up almost all the way. Could the 'not painting the inside walls make the difference? I have put in a 75mm x 200m (length) port. Pioneer recommends 102mm but again. Could painting the inside and playing with the port really make a huge difference (for the better that is)??
Nick
vinspo 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
Ported enclosures are very temperamental, you must build them to specs or you will get poor results. I would suggest starting over and build to correct specs. If size is an issue, does pioneer have specs for a sealed enclosure?
keithestabrook 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys. I built my first box for my sebring convertible using the volume specs Pioneer listed and it came out great. My box is very irregularly shaped, but I made sure I did the math and it thumps. Pioneer provides detailed instructions with their subs as to the volumes needed for a regular box, ported box and sealed/ported box. I built a sealed/ported box and had no problems. Pioneer gives you plus or minus 10% for volume from their ideal specs. Too much room and you will damage the speaker, too little and it will sound weak and muddy.

If Nickvr lost his sheet, he can download a pdf from pioneerelectronics.com. You must register but it is free. Good Luck!

Keith: Give a man a match and you may warm him for a minute; light a mnan on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic