icon

Remote Starter Prblems on 96 Tahoe

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
manrightcheer 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 96 Tahoe with push button 4x4. i had a local installer put in a Commando 6000 remote starter/alarm. Everything works great other than when I use the remote start feature my SES light comes on. Along with the SES, when I start to drive it shifts very hard out of first and then it won't shift into another gear. After I turn the car off and start it back up the shifting problem goes away, then the light will go off after about five more cycles.

I had the trouble codes read and the codes are P1860 and P1864. This stuff only happens when I use the remote stater. I took it back to the shop that installed it and they can't figure it out...If they even looked.

If someone could maybe research this problem and come up with some suggestions please let me know. THANKS

cj allday
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2005 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
All signs point toward the 2nd ignition wire not being powered up via the remote starter. Be sure to start the car with the key every time before driving or else you might ruin your transmission.
I have never heard of that model number from Commando, but i assume it has a 2nd ignition output. The 2nd ignition wire that needs to be powered during remote start is White. Take a look at the install and see the installer grabbed a white wire in the ignition harness. If there is a white wire then I guess all that you could do is test to make sure that it is an Ignition wire.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
manrightcheer 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
The person that installed this stated that there isn't a 2nd ignition wire on my vehicle, so he was just giving me the run around huh? Is this something I may be able to do myself? THANKS a lto for this info.
cj allday
jrilla 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, you can do it yourself, but I would make that guy do it. What a moron, of course that truck has a 2nd ignition. That's why you have transmission problems after remote starting. So, on second thought, I think I would recommend you doing it yourself since this guy sounds like such a moron that I wouldn't want him to touch my car again.
Post a link to more information on that Commando 6000 starter and I will let you know what you need to do. If you have a link to where you bought it, or even better a link to the install manual. Or if you dont have any of this but you have the install manual, just look in the manual and see if it has a 2nd ignition output.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
manrightcheer 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  

Ok th eplace where I bought it from is www.asianwolf.com.

Once you go there click on "videos of our items" and the unit I bought will be shown there. I think asian wolf also sells the same unit as a different name to make it look as if they have a variety of alarms so anything Commando or Asianwolf brand is probably the same unit with different accessories. I also have the manual if what is on the website isn't sufficient.

cj allday
jrilla 
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
Ok Iam familiar with the unit (I think) I have installed a couple units that look exactly like that, so I am purdy sure it is the same. There is a 2nd Ignition wire on the unit and it is Brown I believe. Look at the large 6 pin harness with the heavier gauge wires in it. There should one wire not connected to the vehicle. You will need to connect it to the white iwre in the ignition harness. You will need to test this wire to make sure that it is an ignition wire.
Do you have a test light or a Multi-Meter?
The wire should show 12v+ in the ON and START positions.
Remove an inch of the insulation on the white wire, strip back an inch on the brown wire and wrap it around the white wire then solder the connection and tape it. If you are shy on a soldering iron, then I reccomend getting one, but other people on this site might recommend other types of connectors. I won't bother recommending an other type of connections since they are unreliabe. I have a feeling the installer didn't solder. Where did you have it installed anyway?
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
manrightcheer 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  

A local car audio/security installer. No one known world wide.

I took alook into the ignition harness and there is a white wire, a pink one and a brown wire of heavier guage wire. I also see that the brown wire from the 6-pin harness is connected to the brown wire in the ignition harness.

Might I need a relay of some sort to power these wires because everything is connected to a wire but i'm not sure to the right one. But for sure the brown has to be hooked up to the white?

No I don't have test light or multi-meter either.

cj allday
jrilla 
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
Pink is your ign 1 wire and White is your Ign 2 wire. The Brown wire on the vehicle is the radio wire and is not needed for remote start. Just to be sure, remote start the truck while sitting in the car. see if the radio turns on during the remote start. Also notice if it turns off during cranking like it does when you start the truck with the key. i bet the guy just hooked up the brown ignition output to the brown radio accessory wire and didn't even program it as an Acc.
You really should test the white wire before grabbing it, so I recommend buying a test light. How many white wires are there total in the harness? Thin and thick gauge. The Ign 2 wire is not always heavy gauge.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  

The guy that did the install needs to "sharpen his skill" The second IGN. on these types of trucks and SUV's, is install 101............

Every tech sheet from here to kalamazoo say......"failure to feed the second IGN. can result in damage to the transmission"

manrightcheer 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  

Ok. This is what I see, the ignition harness has; Thick:Pink, Pink/White, Red, RED / White, Yellow, Brown, Orange. Thin: Black(2), Lime Green, Brown, BROWN / White

From the "Brain": Thick: Violet, Yellow, Orange, Brown and Red(2)

Now What I'm not grasping is that underneath the steering column there is another harness that flows the same way the ignition harness flows. What is that harness, because that is where I see the white wire. Is that the wire you are referring that I hook the brown wire to? Or might it be one of those thin wires such as Brown or BROWN / White?

I'll go to Autozone to purchase one of those testers too.

The connections that are made to the ignition harness are as follows(from "brain to harness): Yellow to Pink, Each Red to Red and RED / White, Purple to Yellow, Orange to Brown, Brown to Orange.

Then on the other harness, where the thick White is there is a think White going to it from the 20 pin harness of the "brain".

cj allday
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic