the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Will I need a capacitor or a HO alternator?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  

theron I believe I already made that decision clear. :)

Thanks for the alternator page but I believe I'll be going through the g/f's mom(she gets parts at near wholesale for vehicles.) And apparently I can do the install myself or her dad can help me well enough if needed. Just need to know what amperage to go with. Is there a significant increase with more power( 140 vs 180 for example) or will it be just slight? Because unless this is gonna REALLY help I don't wanna invest anymore money into that then needed.

Also she (mother) said something about needing to put on new fuses, the father disagreed. Any clue if it'd really HURT for trying to get a better fuse set up or no?

Last here:

"If you expect any sort of life out of your battery or your alternator you will need to beef up your electrical system a bit... at the very least upgrade your battery->groud connection and your alternator->battery wire."

New wiring, is this what we are getting at? I'm kinda confused and if it is, what kinda stuff am I looking at to do this?

Oh and note, the Memhpis Belle is AB and D I believe. 1 channel is D with 80-90%, 4 are AB with 40-50%. COULD be mistaken.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
Oh and also, with the 2nd identical battery. What/how will that interact? I saw something about 13-14 volt pull will do more for it? Yes/no? Why/how so? Sorry, I'm still learning. :)
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2005 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
Well, if your alternator is only putting out 140 amps, but your amplifier (and we already discussed this) is sucking 150 amps, it still isn't big enough to run the amp AND all of the accessories, is it? I'd go for the biggest thing you can stuff under the hood. It'll last longer than getting the smaller one and running it at the limit it's whole life, too.
As far as the fuses, DO NOT CHANGE THE VALUES! The device being protected by the fuse will not draw more current just because you have a higher current alternator.
The second battery is REALLY to extend the parking lot listening time - after all, it's twice one battery, right? Will I need a capacitor or a HO alternator? - Page 2 -- posted image.. BUT it will also make certain your amplifier gets all the clean current it needs, as it is closer tho the amp, although this can mostly be taken care of by using a larger battery cable than necessary from the front battery, also... I would put it in the trunk, and DO NOT USE ANY ISOLATORS - IN ANY FORM. This means relays, too. Simply wire it in parallel with the battery in front, and connect the amplifier to the back battery posts. Run with it, and be done with it.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2005 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
 So basically I need to have like a 250 amp alternator if possible? (Assuming that the 100/105 currently is being worked fairly hard and 150 for the amp) And the battery will be put in probably around april most likely. (Thanks for explaining that to me.)
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 4:14 AM / IP Logged  
What I would do is have somebody test your electrical system, and find out:
1) What is your maximim continuous current draw right now, with ALL accessories running - don't forget your rear window defroster - that's a BIG one!
2) How big is your alternator right now, in amp rating, preferably a hot rating, if you can get it - this will tell you just how underpowered you are right now.
3) Total accessory draw, plus AT LEAST 100 amps (preferably 150 amps) for the amplifier is how big an alternator you need to look for.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 6:47 AM / IP Logged  

It has a 100 amp rating right now I'm pretty sure.

"1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo ALTERNATOR

V6, 3.1L, Standard 100A; OEM #10480237; Internal Regulator; Clock Position: 3:00; Pulley: {1273}, Fuel Injection "

What would be a good way to get my electrical system tested? Like a local mechanic place or something?

And I have been trying to figure out all the amp powers and such, and I've been told there's no way in hell I'll get anything over like 140(Not confirmed) that will fit into my vehicle alternator wise.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 6:50 AM / IP Logged  
So need to enable editing. I just checked up on that 180 amp thing mentioned earlier. That is being referenced froma 95/96 Lumina/Monte Carlo 3.4L. Will it still fit?
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
Price on the 180 amp that fits my car is like $179.99. Man, that is a lot less than I was expecting.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic