icon

What sub 10?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2005 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
Nakamichi SPW120. You can get them for ~$70 and they fit in insanely tiny enclosures. They are crazy loud and have great sound quality (What else do you expect from nak). Trust me. Buy them at www.woofersetc.com.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2005 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
How did I know THAT was coming? That, by the way, is a rhetorical question...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2005 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
If you stick w/ 2 subs you'll basically want to look for subs that were made for small enclosures. If you go for a larger enclosure and a single sub you can probably get the highest quality (tightest and deepest) sound. Since you listen at moderate levels and don't plan to compete, you probably don't need two subs. Use the extra volume AND the money saved to buy a really nice single 10" woofer w/o putting it in too small a box. You could even try a single woofer in a larger ported enclosure - this might be ideal for the type of music you listen to, which is usually very bass heavy.
Let us know what subs you are considering. If it were me putting a single 10" sub into a small sealed enclosure I would either go w/ Adire or Eclipse if I had a bunch of power to throw at it. Since I didn't feel like I needed or wanted to throw a bunch of power at a single woofer I went w/ Image Dynamic's IDQ 10". It is one of the only reasonably efficient woofers I found made for playing in boxes smaller than .6ft^3.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
yositoco 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2005 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  

Starting to lean towards 1 eclipse aluminum in 10".

Anybody have any other sugestions on other subs?

Whats a good online store to get eclipse equipment from?

bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2005 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
i would stick with only a pair of comps in the front. there is no point for those coaxs as you have no rear to fill. they wont give you much more volume, probably hurt you more. there are also many ways to dig up some extra space in a single cab. you just need to get creative and make sacrifices. i mention this because you will probably want to get a 12 because of the music you listen to. trucks have little cabin gain so the sub will perform nowhere near as well as it would in a car. go for a 12" eclipse alum and you should be fine
dyer 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
I skipped to the end, so hopefully we are still taling about 10" subs. I am a huge supporter of imagedynamics. The IDQ series has incredible sound quality, and operate off of next to nothin air space. Also the ID Max are supposed to be some of the best out there(havn't heard those yet)
Dyer
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 6:41 AM / IP Logged  
Oh come on haempyst, you knew it was coming lol. But seriously, $70 for a 12" Nakamichi woofer is a great price for a great budget SQ woofer. Seriously consider it, they are real nice! (300 WRMS, 600 WPEAK @ 4 ohm SVC)
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  
I am goin g to recomend eclipse.   The 7100 series 10 goes for about $180-$250 and they are well worth the money, they will meet your power and size requirments.   You can run them in as small as a .75 cu ft box and take 400 rms
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
yositoco 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  

Ive decided to go with the 10" aluminum series from eclipse.

Should i go with one or two?

Anyone else have any sugestions on if i should stick with just the components up front.

If i only install components up front and nothing in the back i can get a good 2 channel reference amp and put some MQ quarts PCE216 or some koda 6.1 (any other sugestion on co,mponents), but im not sure about not putting speakers in the back.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  

2 only gains you 3db with the same amount of power spread over 2 subs.  If you also double the power to each sub you gain another 3db. 

3db isn't a huge audible gain.  Unless you are competing or obsessed with SPL, there is no need for 2 subs, in my opinion.

I think you're right to focus your money and effort on the front components and a very high quality 2 channel amp.  Even if you do decide you want rear fill, I'd just stick w/ the factory speakers and use the deck power.  Rear fill has minimal value, in my opinion.  Even if you decide you like it I would place it last on my budget. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic