icon

charging problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2005 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
 Continueing with my problem with my HO alternator. I took it to a shop today and had it checked out. They told me what I thought, it charges if reved up to around 1200 rpm's, but at idle it is not charging. Then they checked the battery and it was a little weak, so they charged it back up and then checked the alternator again with it fully charged. Same thing. Now I know for sure it is the alternator that is the problem. I found the one that came off of the car today, so I will put it on the car tomorrow and see if it does the same thing. My guess is it won't, since it didn't do that when it was on the car before. Remember the HO one didn't do it either for 21 months, it just started this recently. I'm just trying to prove what is the problem before I send it back since they tried to be no nasty about it on the phone when I called them about it. And if it IS the HO alternator, I will make sure they know it and this time I will be the one being nasty. I'll tell the results of what I find.
'85 Toy
Jay T 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2005 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  

I remeber this post before.  Sounds like you have a legit argument. But I was under the assumption that *most* HO alternators had trouble producing at low RPMs anyway. Best of Luck dealing with the company who sold it to you. It can be a real pain sometimes.

Just a side thought... did you have the shop check for abnormal draws in the cars electrical system under minimal load conditions?. IE with the heater, stereo, headlights, etc. all running you'll need more amps / more rpms to provide power from alternator, If the alternator can't provide it, you'll be drawing power from the battery. (you know this already I guess) But if you haven't already, check with no accessories running, lights off stereo off. Get a reading of what the car is drawing then, to make sure you don't have some random short or cross.  Did this inability to charge at low rpm happen all at once one day or got worse over time.

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
The only alternators that I know of that will truly put out a high charge below 1200 rpm would be a domonick irragi or an ohio generator. Thats why you pay $300-$400 for a 200amp alternator, The 200 amp I have for my honda civic charges perfectly at 800rpm,    The alternator is meant to produce peak output at 800-1000 rpm they are comp grade alt's    well worth the money in my book.    if you get your money back for your alternator then I can egt you in touch with domonick if you want.    I love looking on ebay for alternators and they will say 190amps!!! then you read below and it says 190@2800rpm or higher, at 200degrees ect.     well whats that over stock,     at low rpm nothing maybe even worse
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
vinspo 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
Have you considered changing the pulley to a smaller size to increase alternaters RPM's? That may solve your problem.
supradude 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
No,  I hadn't thought of that. I did put the stock alternator back on late today and it is working fine at idle and driving speeds. I'm going to try it for a week and see if it stays like that before I make another call to the company that sold it to me. I'm thinking it might be the internal voltage regulator. I noticed a couple of times at night the lights would start flickering, and I looked at the gauge and the needle was jumping around too. If the stock one works for a week ( it is only 70 amps), I'll know what to do. 
'85 Toy
Jay T 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  

Looks like you've diagnosed the problem pretty good. Like I said before best of luck dealing with the company that sold you the alt. 

Just out of curiosity, what kind of warranty did they give you on it?

supradude 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
They gave me a 24 month warranty. Or at least that is what is stamped on the invoice.
'85 Toy

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic