icon

newbie connector question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 6:54 AM / IP Logged  
How about you take it to a local car audio shop and have them crimp it with a heavy duty wire gauge crimper to ensure the connection won't come apart... Then if you'd like you can probably use a torch of some sort to heat 4 gauge enough to solder it But I don't believe its necessary... They might charge you a labor fee but it shouldn't be more than like $5, just my .02
jerrya86 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
You could also use a tool thats made to crimp 4 gauge wire. Check West Marine or Boats US. The wire sets on the lower half of the crimper and you hit the upper half with a hammer. Costs about $32 USD. Made by Ancor.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 4:23 AM / IP Logged  
Doesnt anyone use a bench vice to do this. Thats always how I crimp on the power cable ends. Then you just solder and your gold.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
mobilevt 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  

I actually use a specialized crimper for this.  I routinely use 6 g, 4 g, wiring for emergency vehicle applications.  We use only copper terminals for ease of crimp and soldering.  If we make the cables on the bench, we solder the connectors on them using just a regular propane bottle torch.  The connector is held in the vise, I put in a "slug" made of coiled solder in the connector, I heat the copper until the solder melts, hold the heat on it for an additional 3-5 seconds, remove the heat and insert the cable and hold in place.  Just make certain the flame stays away from the solder as you do not want to burn the flux.  If you do it correctly, you will make a very good connector.  Holding the cable in while heating the connector just makes for a messy installation as it will start to melt the insulation off of the cable.

Personally, crimping with hammers, vises, doesn't make for a good connection and looks tacky.  Try to achieve a method that pinches the middle, very much like a non-insulated butt connector crimp would do.

Sean

Emergency Vehicle Technician
Got Freedom? Thank a vet!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic