icon

glass dilemma

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fexploder 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 5:31 AM / IP Logged  

Between layers you should lightly sand off the burs ( sharp bumps ) then wipe the glass with acetone shortly before applying the next layer.

REMEMBER to wipe the dust and dirt off before applying each layer.  This will prevent air pockets which weaken fiberglass.

doc t 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  

sorry if these are too small....still trying to figure out this new camera.

glass dilemma - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Used the divider to strentghen the back side of the box.

all the rings in place.

this morning we streched the fleese....it was 30 deg's in sunny florida this morning....not as cold as you guys up north but for here it's butcold!

this is another view the staples were used to keep the shape of the rings.....do i have to remove them?

here it is with the first three coats of resin applied,  you may ask why three?....well the first and second were applied with only half the needed hardner, the cold got to me and i miss calculated, once i warmed up i realized my error and we mixed up another batch with just a wee bit more hardener and the set in the sun to increase the heat and it hardened in a couple of hours.......man is it stiff...the glass not me. will let it set till next weekend and then we will start the layers of fiberglass. any comments or sugestions are appreciated.

T

PimpVan 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 6:54 AM / IP Logged  
The pictures came out good.I think you got one big project on your hand though.Just next time try not to forget to put the right amount of hardner in.Or that will slow you down alot.Hope it comes out good for you.
doc t 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  
It's amazing how attention to detail goes out the window when your cold.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah thats why I rather not deal with it when its cold. I'm waiting to do my lil. bro's box when it gets warm.   I'm not a fan of the cold and once my fingers start going numb I really really want to get back inside.  Anyway, your box looks really good man,  props on the design.  Quick question, did you test all four of your subs to make sure they all fit in the box?  and didnt touch on the rings, or the inside of the box?
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
doc t 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
It's going in to my son's ranger, he's the one who came up with the design...so it's his fault if they rub!!...HAHA LOL just kidding the subs will be inverted for show and the surround clears, no rub.....the cold makes you realize that men have nipples too!!
bluetruck 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
looks nice. i hope he isnt pushing the subs too hard w/ 4 in one common chamber though.
doc t 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
It is divided into two chambers. the amp is around 700-800 wrms @4ohms
PimpVan 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 6:55 AM / IP Logged  
Ya with an amp like that he is going to be quakeing.I guess thats why they call it and EarthQuake amp huh.I think your sonis going to need hearing aids with that much power behind his head.Ya better hope the subs clear or that means more work out in the cold.(Not a very good plan)
doc t 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  

PimpVan wrote:
Ya with an amp like that he is going to be quakeing.I guess thats why they call it and EarthQuake amp huh.I think your sonis going to need hearing aids with that much power behind his head.Ya better hope the subs clear or that means more work out in the cold.(Not a very good plan)

WHAT?.... I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!  (bur!!)

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic