the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Best Sub Under $175

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
To the sophisticated buyer I think amplifier selection analysis should include, in this order:
1) Determine correct type / number of channels / stable at goal impedence load, features you need, etc.
2) Determine SPL goal and/or listening expectations
3) Look at the efficiency of the subwoofer. Determine how much power you need to reach your expectations.
4) Only use the RMS rating to limit the amount of power you buy. Power over significantly over RMS risks hitting thermal and excursion related limits if you're a volume person.
To summarize: amplifier buying, to me, isn't about matching RMS. It is about matching goals and expectations to speaker efficieny.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
What exactly is best to you? What are you looking for in a woofer? (Brace yourself people, you know it is coming)

Well if my daddy gave me $175 for a 10" sub what would i buy?
Hmm... let me think here... AH! I GOT IT! ....uh.... Well, what am i looking for? SPL or SQ...

Luke: Father, i know not my path on which woofer to get!
Darth Vader: Search your wallet, you know Nak to be true!
Luke: No father! Way to expensive! I'm sick of you recommending the same brand!
Darth Vader: Kiss my a$$ Luke, i am your father, now buy the g****** SP-W104S.
Luke: Which one is that?
Darth Vader: Its a crazy SQ woofer that you can get two of them off the online death star (ebay) for $140 plus shipping using Buy It Now. The wookee dealer awaits.
Luke: What if i want SPL?
Darth Vader: Well, search your pawn shop, kicker is your ally in this quest.
Luke: And what about Rockford Fosgate?
Darth Vader: Listen you Ewok freak, get a HX2 10" from fosgate, A kicker woofer (millions of them out there) or a JBL GT1041D!
Luke: I'm sorry father for doubting you.
Darth Vader: Leave me at once, i smell much fear in you.
(Luke runs away like O.J. Simpson)
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 2:10 AM / IP Logged  
hahahahah, your a pot head!
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 4:08 AM / IP Logged  

kfr01 wrote:
To the sophisticated buyer

I think that’s the key, 'sophisticated buyer', someone familiar with the playground.  For others it's hard to gauge what they expect if its realistic in relation to thier budget. 

You can sell 12" MTX 4500's all day where I live for 90 a pop.  People buy two of those and a amp to roughly match em.  But you could kill yourself trying to talk them into a 12" 7500.  Tell them it has a magnet 4 times bigger then the 4500, a voice coil 50% larger, 50% more excursion and all this translates into better SQ and more SPL.  Its like they don’t believe it. Like its some math equation they cannot solve. "No... no all my friends have 2 subwoofers, you need 2 subwoofers to get allot of bass." 

Later they come back talking about how low so and so's system hits, how hard it hits, how its only one sub.   Yeah.. That usually happens to be the guy that actually bought the single 7500 (only 30$ more then 2-4500's!), and powered that mofo near the rms with a quality amp... The setup I tried to talk them into in the first place.

I think I'm leading this thread off topic.. right.  Maybe not thought, all this talk of amplifier power and buying tips may be just what he needed, if he's still reading.  I cant say I disagree with anything in your "buying guide" but that it is truly for a buyer with a knowledge of products and performance in the car audio world.  To me the amp and sub are a package; one should complementary to the other and the package be  should choosen in a manner that mates well with the overall theme of the audio system.

What will you get for Christmas, bad boy? Coal........or Visonik?? - stevdart
Wow, is everyone clueless and lost in the dark? - uthinkuknoaudio
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  
Heavy, your post is very realistic. I agree with your post for that set of buyers. Well said and argued. :-)
Cheers and thanks for batting that idea around with me. Best Sub Under $175 - Page 2 -- posted image.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
heavilymedicate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
Agreed, it was fun. Your posts seem to be a bit more to the point, more concise.  It’s a quality I cant seem to grasp.  Well-spoken, cheersBest Sub Under $175 - Page 2 -- posted image.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
Vader: Ah, you have found the way of the force! It is your destiny...
Luke: I love Pyle audio.
Vader: I am no longer your father.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
well i know my stuff when it comes to speakers/subs/stuff like that but we were just wondering what would perform overall the best, SQ and SPL included. im more into the higher end stuffBest Sub Under $175 - Page 2 -- posted image.
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
we just ended up buying a pair of Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1D for $200 on ebay... so we got the money part and have heard nothing but good things about the Pefects. he went a little cheap and just got a Sony XM-DS1600P5 which puts out (supposedly) 1600w and that was only $150 so all in all its a relatively low priced system at $350. anyone know anything about the Sony amps? i havent heard ANYTHING about them at all and am wondering if he just bought a $150 hunk of metal/plasticBest Sub Under $175 - Page 2 -- posted image. and btw... what do you all reccomend on boxes, we were probly either going to make some sealed or 4th order bandpass to go in the back of his truck and make custom cushions/seats to go on top so he could still keep his seats in the back (its an extended ranger) BUT we're still open to ANY and ALL ideas... including the placement of the woofers and box types
heavilymedicate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  

You want SQ and are considering a 4th order band pass enclosure?  yikes.  Stick with the sealed, or ported (i would prefer sealed to ported in this case).  Down firing usually sounds good in a quad-cab truck.  You could be really creative and put Plexiglas on the side facing the passengers and show off the subs, mount the amp in the middle in a recessed area, and make a faceplate to put on and only show the amp, and not the wires (making the amp stick out just a little... that would be sweet...

Anyhow, http://www.crutchfield.com/S-44RDWUdwMQR/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=130&id=features_and_specs&i=158XMDS16P  The real deal on that amp is 500w rms@4 ohms and 900w rms@ 2ohms.. with 14.4 volts of input... you'll be lucky to get much above 12.8 or 13, so its a bit overrated.  Despite that it should be adequate for those subs, you did well for 350$ those Kappa Perfects are nice subwoofers.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic