icon

2 12 dual 8 ohm subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
onyx21 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
I have 2 12" dual 8 ohm subs that need about 500w RMS. This is probably a dumb question but is there any way to wire them to get a 1 ohm load on the amp? I f not what is the lowest load I can get on an amp and what amp would you recommend?
audeogod 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  

The lowest ohm load you can achieve with them is a 2 ohm load, with all coils and woofers wired in parallel.  See my post entitled "Look! Parallel subs ohms formula" for more info.  I just posted it yesterday so it shouldn't be too hard to find.  Page 1 or 2.

As for the 500w RMS, is that per woofer, or a total between them??

onyx21 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

I appreciate it, and thats per woofer

audeogod 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I don't have a specific amp recommendation, but what I would do is look for a monobloc amp that can deliver 1000 watts RMS(500 per sub) at a 2 ohm load.  Because you will be wiring them in parallel and no 2-channel amp that I know of can handle a 2 ohm load bridged mono.  You need a mono amp.

Other than that you can wire each coil on each sub in parallel for 4 ohms per sub, and then run them on any regular 2-channel amp with one per channel at 4 ohms.  Then you will need to find a 2-channel amp that delivers 500 watts RMS into a 4 ohm load per channel.  It's still a 1000 watt amp, only at 4 ohms, and in stereo.  That might be big bucks. 

I can't really say which would be cheaper, mono or 2-channel.  Just look around.  As for 2-channel, I have heard some people whom I trust recommend the USAcoustics brand because they are rated to perform at 12.9 volts, not the more common 14.4 volts.  That means that you may actually get a little more out of them than what they say you will.

onyx21 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  

thanks

audeogod 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
From what they told me, the USAcoustics is supposed to be a good "bang for your buck" amp.  Affordable, and dependable.  I've never used one, but the guys who recommended them have used them for awhile, and I've known them for years from just internet posts of course, but they have never been people to just run their mouths about stuff they don't know about.  Always told me reliable information.
onyx21 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
What If I wanted to do 1 amp one each sub? Could I do the memphis MC1000D ?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
YES, YOU CAN GET A ONE OHM (EFFECTIVE) LOAD! 8 oms/4 voice coils=2 ohms. 2 ohms on a BRIDGED stereo amp, the amp will "see" one ohm per channel. The total load is STILL 2 ohms, BUT the amplifier, bridged, "sees" twice the load or one half the impedance when bridged. Since you didn't say what amp you had (or had in mind), you will need to make certain your amp/purchase is indeed one ohm stable. The spec you will be looking for is a stereo amp, around 500 watts per channel at one ohm. Thas amplifier, bridged to a two ohm load will net one ohm load per channel for the amplifier,with approximately 1000 watts of total output.
audeogod, any one ohm stable, stereo amp will run two ohms bridged.
USAmps are good products, a little expensive, but good, most are one ohm stable, OR look for an old-school Orion red HCCA250. Bridged to this load, you would get around 800 watts RMS. I happen to have one of these amps, in great shape, and I would probably be willing to let it go for about 200 bucks. Let me know.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
onyx21 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
FYI: The subs are 12"  8 ohm DVC Diamond audio Mac Daddy
onyx21 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
FYI: The subs are 12"  8 ohm DVC Diamond audio Mac Daddy with 800w peak
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic