icon

2 12 dual 8 ohm subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audeogod 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, I know if it is 1 ohm stable stereo, then it will be 2 ohm stable mono.  Just like 2 ohm stable stereo is 4 ohm stable mono.  That's confusing to think of it being a 1 ohm load when it's not really. 

I also know they make 2-channel bridgable amps that can be 2 ohm stable bridged, but I don' t know of any specifically.  I think Soundstream made some a while back.  I never messed with any of them.

When you bridge an amp, you no longer have two channels, but rather just one now.  And that "new" channel behaves differently than the two did independantly by combining the stereo signals into one signal, and power output changes(not always linearly either) and the lowest ohm load it can safely handle goes up from what each single stereo channel would handle.  The new channel is being shown a 2 ohm load by the way you wire the subs up.  Some say that that's just 1 ohm per channel, but I disagree.  The ohms don't divide up and go different directions.  They are a characteristic of the speaker circuit itself and remain where they are(so to speak)  I believe that it's 2 ohms on an entirely new channel(same output devices though). 

onyx21 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, audeogod and haemphyst both of ya'll have been extremely helpful
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
Nope. Wrong. (But to some extent, still partially correct.) When you bridge an amplifier, you are inverting the output phase of one of the channel, so when one phase is swinging, say 10 volts positive, the other channel is swinging 10 volts negative for a 20 volt potential across the speaker. Twice the voltage across a given load (according to Ohms law) will mandate twice the current, to maintain that voltage. Twice the voltage times twice the current equals 4 times the power. Because the amplifier is making twice the current, it is the same as the amplifier running twice the load on two separate channels, thus an "effective" one ohm load per channel. Yes, the actual load DOES NOT CHANGE, it is still two ohms, but the EFFECTIVE LOAD PER CHANNEL is twice the load, thus the amp "seeing" one ohm per channel. It is still two ohms, but because the amp is working harder, it is EXACTLY the same as halving the impedance in stereo mode.
The power output will continue to rise, YES IN A PERFECTLY LINEAR FASHION - IT MUST, until the amplifier power supply can no longer make enough current to maintain the voltage across the load. This is the reason why you do not see amplifier always offering as much power as you might think it would, in either bridged mode or a 2 ohm power rating vs. a 4 ohm power rating... (i.e. a non-linear output power curve.)
You can disagree with the above information all you would like, but you would be wrong to do so. Please check out this website, and read all ofit. There is a WEALTH of information there. On the left, you will scroll down and find the amplifier bridging secion.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
onyx21 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
Now I'm trying to choose between the old skool Orion HCCA 250(Used) and the Kenwood Excelon KAC-X811D(new). Both are in my price range and both put out 800w RMS. I have a kenwood excelon head unit also. Any opinion on whci to get?
onyx21 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
Also the Hifonics BX1500D
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic