icon

upgrading system?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Glowinlow22 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  

the 1000 watt was just a number for my question,  i'm planning on running alittle less, probably somewhere around 400 watts to each sub, i want them to be loud but not to tear themselves apart, also have to be able to get the rest of the system to blend, it was just a theoretical question, but actually if i was to run 1000 watts to the sub adire claims their max rms at 750 watts  400 watts to each coil, so 500 watt to each would be about right, also are memphis crossovers as good as their amps? and i've got a sony md850mp i beleive thats the model number, i know its an 850mp something or other, flip out motorized face and such, i'm just curious if i should upgrade this as well or will it be fine once i upgrade everything else? also are alpine headunits pretty good? what about pioneer head units? also what are some good brands for lcd screens?  

J~

Glowinlow22 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  

also what is good to use for sound deadening in the car? is the dynamat spray on stuff any good? what about any other brands of spray on, as well as sheets of sound deadner? 

J~

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
Oh, that 750w is pmax, not RMS. RMS is more near 500w, if I remember correctly. Either way, those subs can take a beating. Your 400w to each sub sounds perfect, but again, the practical difference between 800w and 500w is almost un-noticable.
I would feel confident trying anything from Memphis.
I feel the best value in head units is Eclipse. Run a search and you'll see that many agree - and many disagree too. :-) This is a matter of opinion. Alpine and Pioneer make good stuff too.
I know nothing about lcd screens. I have never tried in car video.
I have tried a lot of sound dampening products as my car is horrible for wind and road noise. The best value I found was from http://www.raamaudio.com/ It compared favorably to Dynamat Xtreme for much less money.
I have not tried the spray however, it just seems messy to me. :-) Perhaps someone else can shed light on this one.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Glowinlow22 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  

thanks again, i'm just gonna start asking you questions lol, kinda like the forums cause theres so many ideas but on this one you've come up with a nice solution for my car, and a ton of good info to go with it, one last thing i'm curious about and i dunno if anyone will have a good answer for it, i'm currently trying to polish my amp, its an aluminum case  that had a finish on it that i took off and got it shiny, now i actually want to polish all of the fins and flat areas on the top, all the circuits are mounted to the peice i'm polishing, will this hurt them at all? also i'm going to paint in between the fins black will this hurt anything as this amp doesnt usually get that hot its only about 100 to 120 watt amp? 

J~

Glowinlow22 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  

also what about jl audio amps? are they as good as they seem or just over priced?

J~

Glowinlow22 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 2:30 AM / IP Logged  

after rereading your last post, if i power these subs with say 300 watts apeice they will still hit as hard as 400 watts? pretty cool if thats what your meaning especially since a 600 watt amp is much cheaper than an 800 lol.

J~

kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
These subwoofers are very efficient. They will get extremely loud with a couple hundred watts. I really want to stress this. Since you have the room to dedicate your entire trunk you are a lucky guy. These 2 Tempests with only a 600w amplifier will challenge, in terms of SPL, 2 Brahama 12"s with a 2500w amplifier.
Here's a nice little rule to use when deciding how big an amplifier to buy: It takes a doubling of power to increase maximum SPL by 3db. 3db is small. +10db is a doubling in volume. So, if you're looking at a 600w amplifier, you'd need 1200w to increase max spl by 3db!!!!
The difference between a 600w amplifier and an 800w amplifier will yield a max spl increase of just over 1db. A 1db difference in max spl will barely be noticable 99% of the time. Not worth it in my opinion. That said, get 800w if you want to extract every last db out of the woofers - it might matter in competition.
My opinion is that Memphis and JL are of similar high quality and that Memphis is the better value.
Glowinlow22 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  

600 watt will be just dandy for my needs, i've never heard the break down on what watts actually translates into noise, kinda neat to find out all this stuff, whats the general rule about rms on a sub/speaker vs rms output of an amp? do they need to match or will a 200 watt amp pushing a 400 watt rms sub still translate into good power? basically how much power vs rms on a sub is required to get good sound from that sub?  as for the 15s, which way will yeild the best results in a coupe type car, if i build the enclosure to face the rear trunk area, or if i build it to face them forward?  since i work with fiberglass i'm going to build 2 wood boxes and put fiberglass fronts on them, either pushed forward into the space behind my seats, or facing the trunk lid, with the amp in between them, also i knew a guy who did all his own stereo installs and most of them were pretty good but he claimed that you could not mount an amp upside down because it wouldnt work right anymore, i'm guessing this is a bogus claim but i wanted to know if there could be any truth to it at all.

also i'm planning to run an airride system on my car in the future, do i need to ground the compressors to the same spot as all audio sources or should i make a seperate ground?   thanks in advance to kfr01 and thanks to all the answers i've gotten so far.

J~

kfr01 
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
The general rule (very general) is that you should try to get them reasonably close. Some people say amp rms should be at least 75% of speaker rms. These 'rules of thumb' mean little, I think.
They do not need to match. There is absolutely no difference in _sound_ between running 100w to a sub and 1000w. The only difference is in max low distortion spl.
With only 100watts total (50 a piece) to your 2 Tempests you'll push around 113db before cabin gain. This is really loud. From here add 3db for every doubling of power. So, 116db at 200w. 119db at 400w. 122db at 800w. This is about the max, you won't be able to double again safely. Remember this is only MAX SPL that it effects. Everything below max spl will sound exactly the same. So you see, there's really very little max spl difference between 400w total to these drivers and 800w total. Only 3db. This might matter at the competitions when machines do the measuring - but you'll rarely notice much of a difference.
I'd try facing the subs toward the trunk lid first. I've always gotten the best results this way.
On mounting the amplifier upside down. It depends on the amplifier. SOME amplifiers only have heatsinks on one end. They will not cool correctly if you mount them upside down. It depends on the amp.
I know nothing about air-ride systems. I'm just an audio guy. :-)
Glowinlow22 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  

i was mainly curious if the compressors grounds would cause a ground loop in the few times that they would happen to kick on the same time the subs were pounding, i guess i could just deal with it lol.  again thanks for all the help, one last question assuming i just want an spl sub, what would be a good sub for high spl numbers?  as well as your thoughts on diamond audio amps, kicker amps, lightning audio amps and planet audio amps and subs :).

J~

Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic