icon

upgrading system?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
Adire Koda 8's for the doors definitely....I wouldnt suggest RE8's because they serve more as a subwoofer than a midwoofer...I really cringed at the idea of someone suggesting a 10" in there..bah. I like kfr01's advice so far.
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
Glowinlow22 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  

ya i gotta agree withthat one about the 10, anybonus that a 10 could possibly provide would be pointless with the tempest 15s i'm planning to use, gotta thank kfr01 for pointing out those subs on another thread, adire is looking like a great company from their performance specs and the numbers users are posting, i dont know a whole lot about re i was interested in them for awhile but they are massive subs, from what i'm reading i think the brahma 15s will be my next step up if i ever need it, plus i recall reading that the adires have a 3 inch mounting depth. can i just free air them in the door? or do i need to seal of0f the door?

J~

bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
kfr, for once i am going to have to disagree with you. i think it is pointless to put an 8 with a 6 when you are going from a 15. i wouldnt cross the 15 over any higher than 60 hz. i would then take the 10s from there to 120. its going to be a little hard on the 6's, but at a normal volume will sound much better than forcing a 15" sub higher than it should be or making the 8s go lower than they should. the 10s would also be good for days when you dont feel like rattling you eyeballs out of their sockets. personally i would have 8's in my door as well, but i think two 10's in the back would be the better of the 2 sq compromises. thats my opinion because i think a car audio sub over 12 inches sounds like a** in the higher bass frequencies.
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
bullman96..you're generalizing things way too much here. The Tempests provide excellent sq while getting loud..it's what they do man..If you want better sq you could look into the Atlas 15..features xbl2.
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
how am i generalizing, i dont think an 8 can get down to 60hz very well especially matching the volume of a tempest. have a 15" sub above 60hz. the sq below that frequency is amazing. ive heard it, no arguments there. but a 10 would cover the frequency range better. the only reason that i wouldnt use two 10's would be for imaging because they would have to be in the rear. i think that is a better sacrifice than to deal with the gap between the 8 and 15. so dont say my opinion sucks and not back it up. who is generalizing?
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  

bullman96 wrote:
how am i generalizing, i dont think an 8 can get down to 60hz very well especially matching the volume of a tempest. have a 15" sub above 60hz. the sq below that frequency is amazing. ive heard it, no arguments there. but a 10 would cover the frequency range better. the only reason that i wouldnt use two 10's would be for imaging because they would have to be in the rear. i think that is a better sacrifice than to deal with the gap between the 8 and 15. so dont say my opinion sucks and not back it up. who is generalizing?

So your argument is this:

1) that the Tempest cannot reach 80hz cleanly on the high end; and

2) that a 8" driver cannot reach 80hz cleanly on the low end.

No offense, but that's just wrong.  There will be no gap.  You are generalizing.  Here's why:

1) The Tempest isn't your regular cheap 15" car subwoofer.  It has smooth frequency response to 200hz!  Check the lengthy specification pdf.  Otherwise I'm sure Steven will back me up on this.  What makes your generalization even worse is that MANY 10" car audio drivers have earlier break up modes than the Tempest.

So, we've solved that.  The Tempest will easily and cleanly reach a 80hz crossover point.  I have absolutely no concern here.

2)  What?  MANY good 8" drivers will reach 80hz.  Good ones will reach 60.  The Koda 8 is a prime example.  It can comfortably be crossed over at 50hz.  See Adire's Koda 8 specs.  Many other 7-8" drivers can be crossed over at 80hz quite successfully.

I have absolutely zero concerns about the system I suggested covering the frequencies I suggested.

Anyway, please know I'm not trying to be a jerk, I actually quite enjoy defending my position.  :-)

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
Bullman, I agree with those who think you're generalizing about the abilities of the certain woofer sizes.  Any 15" can play much higher than 120 Hz, and any 8" (or 6.5", as a matter of fact) can play much lower than 80 Hz.  You don't need to transcend frequencies with drivers that step up in sizes in the steps that you are describing.  I didn't hear kfr01 say your opinion sucks...you shouldn't assume that's what he meant.  This is a discussion forum.  We have to all remember that when another member disagrees with our advice.  It's up to the author of the thread to make his final decisions.  Actually, some of the best threads I've seen started out as disagreements, and everybody benefits. 
Glowinlow22 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  

i'm enjoying watching this battle of opinions, both ideas sound nice, but in my car i feel that kfr01s' setup will maximize the sound stage nicely, i have a cavalier coupe, so my space is limited.   i'm curious about somethin with amps, if i run 2 speakers say to dvc at 2 ohm wired so they show a 2 ohm load and power both of them with a 1000 watt@ 2 ohm amp how much power is each sub actually seeing is the 1000 watt supplied to both subs are is it split between them? i've never read anything to answer that question before.

J~

Glowinlow22 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  

i'm enjoying watching this battle of opinions, both ideas sound nice, but in my car i feel that kfr01s' setup will maximize the sound stage nicely, i have a cavalier coupe, so my space is limited.   i'm curious about somethin with amps, if i run 2 speakers say 2 dvc at 2 ohm wired so they show a 2 ohm load and power both of them with a 1000 watt@ 2 ohm amp how much power is each sub actually seeing is the 1000 watt supplied to both subs are is it split between them? i've never read anything to answer that question before.

J~

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
Tempests have dual 8-ohm voice coils. Wire them parallel-parallel to achieve a 2-ohm load at the amplifier.
The 1000w @ 2ohms will be split between them. 500 each. 1000w is slightly over their RMS rating. Because of their excellent efficiency, you don't need this much power to rock them. The practical gain over a 500w @ 2-ohm amplifier will be minimal. That said, if you have the money and your electrical system can handle the amplifier, go for it and be careful about running them too hard. Although the Tempests are underrated, depending on your box you could still push excursion near its limits with 1000w rms to the system.
http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/details.asp?id=24
Would be an excellent amplifier for these subs.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic