icon

upgrading system?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Glowinlow22 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  

Based off another question i had asked i've determined that i'm going to have 2 15s in my trunk/back seat area, the next thing i'm wondering is if a pair of 8s to replace the factory speakers would be a good idea or will the 15s and 8s cause cancelation problems with each other?  i'm planning to run sealed boxes for the 15s and probably the same for the 8s, i was also going to move the 8s so that they are mounted to my rear deck above the seats in the back window of the car by cutting a whole glassing a set of speaker rings to the deck itself and building boxes on the lower side so they look pushed thru from the bottom,  i'm trying to keep the subs facing the trunk, but i may face them forwards behind the back seat as my seat drops down, i'm also planning to upgrade the front speakers with a component system, and possibly another set of 8s in the doors, now is all this just really far overkill or would the 8s make a noticable difference? also i'm going to run adire audio 15s, with their 8s be a good choice as well? 

J~

bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
yes they will make a smoother transition from the 15's to your comps if they are 6's or 5's. they will cause cancellation probs and sound bad unless you find the right frequencies to cross them over. unless you have a good understanding of crossovers, or are willing to do a lot of trial and error, i would suggest not doing that. a 10" might be better suited than an 8" as well.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know if you will be able to fit 8's easily into your rear deck. If it isn't hard at all I would try it. RE, Adire, and JL make some pretty good 8's. I don't think it would be that hard to do with crossovers. It would be simpler to just buy a crossover from Audiocontrol that lets you send a signal to your 8's, front components, and subs.
Glowinlow22 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  

so could i run a 10" with the 15s and not have cancelation issues? i dont mind tweaking things, i planned on an eq and a couple crossovers for the system already, i also do fiberglass work and am quickly picking up a vast knowledge of modifications to electrical and mechanical parts of my car, also i have around a 100 watt alternator in my car and a red top battery, i'm planning to upgrade to a yellow top under the hood, and possibly a second one in the trunk for the audio system, now if i buy 2 yellow tops i dont need an isolator correct? i'm also planning to upgrade the charging wire to 0ga and the main ground to 0ga as well as a 0ga wire between batteries fused of course, am i forgetting anything with that setup? i'm hoping to run 1 to 2 amps for the subs in the trunk and a 4 or 5 channel amp for the in car speakers, i'm also planning to run 4 ga power wires, now this should allow me alot of flexibility in my amp choices shouldnt it? my other question is if i have a second battery in the trunk i'm going to ground to the chassis of the car/body of the car, the audio system will also be grounded there do i need to keep all my grounds centralized i.e ground the battery and all amps to the same spot or can i ground the battery on the left and all the others on the right  and not have issues with sound quality?

J~

bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
you should be good. do make sure you ground everything, and i mean everything to the same point. try to do it in the middle of your car so if you have a ground loop and need to run the decks ground to the same point, it will not be too far. you really wont need a second batt unless you want to ahve your system on when your car is off. and no, you will not NEED an isolator with 2 batts that are exactly the same. wouldnt hurt
Glowinlow22 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
will a distribution block work for grounds?
Glowinlow22 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
also how should i go about selecting a fuse for my power wire from the battery to the back of the car?
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
I don't like Bullman's advice here at all.
I think a MUCH better system would be this:
Forget about the 10". It will cause cancelation and add very little if nothing to the system.
Forget about the 8" drivers in back. Midbass should not come from the back.
Once you have the 15"s in there concentrate your efforts on creating a seamless transition via the front stage.
Here's what I'd do:
Put 5.25" or 6.5" components in the kicks.
Put a 6.5" - 8" midbass in the doors.
Take the 8" drivers out of the back competely. Let the subs in the trunk breath through these holes.
Cross things over like this:
Sub: to 80hz.
Midbass: 80hz to 150hz.
Components: 150 up.
See. No overlap. No worries about cancelation. Everything will correctly sound like it is coming from your front stage. The midbass drivers will help you obtain a nice blend to the subwoofers.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
A distro. block is great for the grounds.
See the link Power and Ground to the left of this page.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Glowinlow22 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  

man your just full of good info aren't ya lol, wanna recommend some good 8s for the doors, and component systems? as well as a good brand for crossovers and possibly an eq?  i like that setup much better i had always heard that mixing 10s 12s and 15s will cause cancellation because they run in such close frequencies to each other, i've also heard let the bass come from the back and the highs from the front, now if i flip my subs to the front and build an enclosure, what do i need to do to make the bass sound clean and tight? i've heard that you have to foam/block off every hole and opening between those 2 areas so whats the real story behind this?

J~

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic