icon

Magnet Size

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tackett834 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys, im new to the site.  This seems like a great place to answer all my questions and learn a lot of stuff.  Anyway,  i got a question.......What does the size of the Magnet have to do with the actual sub?  Does it make it hit harder or what? 

Also, I plan on building my system when the income tax check comes in.  I want a system that people will hear me comin from a distance.  I used to have  Rockford Fosgate Rockbox with 2 15s in it, but that system wasnt great.  I have an extended cab full size chevy, so space isnt a big deal.  I dont want to spend too much on it either.  SQ isnt that important to me, but I do want it to sound decent.  I was thinking about the Audiobahn DUB series subs, but havent heard much on them.....but you guys gimme your suggestions on subs (different brands) and sizes and what you do. Thanks guys!

/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
you probably havent heard much from audiobahn because they dont have much to boast about, unless as the old joke goes, you like the chrome.
Are you planning to buy locally? and if so - what brands are around your area. if not, and you dont want to spend all that much - i hear good things from image dynamics, and they also dont require a big box. Adire Shiva's are also a great sub for the price, and if you want more than that, the Brahmas are raved about.
What is your power situation right now? what amp(s) do you have to put in, and what do you want to put in as far as power, that may persuade which sub you should opt for.
i think 2 15's will be plenty loud, but if your saving a buck, and dont mind a -3db drop, get 1 15" or 1 12". with a ported enclosure (if your up for the task of building that sort of box) you can get some nice results for loud & low sound.
if you are wanting to stick to local dealers, let us know what brands they carry, otherwise telling you to get an Adire sub, or ID sub will not help you in any way.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
tackett834 wrote:

Hey guys, im new to the site.  This seems like a great place to answer all my questions and learn a lot of stuff.  Anyway,  i got a question.......What does the size of the Magnet have to do with the actual sub?  Does it make it hit harder or what? 

You can't judge a speakers performance on it's magnet size.  Also be sure to ignore efficiency numbers and power handling numbers in comparing a speakers quality.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio 

tackett834 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  

I plan buying from the internet.  The only speakers around here locally are JL, Kicker, and Alpine.  Thats about it.  Also I plan on pushing how ever many watts it takes to get a sweet thump.  Also like i said, i have an extended cab truck and i dont care to remove the back seat,  so i have plenty of room.  Oh yea, another quick question....what about 18" speakers?  What are your comments on them?  Thanks guys

i need the link to the Brahma sub if someone dont mind

tackett834 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
i checked out some subs from adire audio.....wow.  I am looking ang the 15" Tempest.  Do you think it will do what i am looking for?  I just want people to hear me comin from a distance. Thanks
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
lol, well that didn't work out well. Anyways, 18" woofers i can recommend are Cerwin Vega Strokers, if you want loud as hell that is the ticket. Or of course you can get Juggernaut 18"s :)
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
Agreed. Go with the strokeers. They retail around $250~$450. That's half the price of most 18 in subs.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
Strokers are a good idea, you can also look at resonat engineering,or digital designs subs, the kicker L7 gets really loud to.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=299-660

Your money will be in the amp to power it.

(It's a Kove Armageddon)

petergozinya 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  

my experience with an 18 was great ! It was my first system. I built the biggest box i could (ported) and stuffed it into a haundai exell . sub was by earthquake. Box was me mesuring and my hommies cuting. My girl said she could clean the whole house before i made it to the driveway. It was the lowest material i have ever experienced . Those low wave's from an 18 will travel very far.(when all else is an accord)

good luck , thad

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic