icon

2001 Dodge Ram Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tecdan01 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys im new to this site, but I just recently purchased the OMEGA Comfort Start system for my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9Li 360. Other than some wiring diagrams, is there any suggestions out there to help make the install a little easier? Also how many amp relays should i be using???
All help is appreaciated
Thanks
Danny
My Lug Nuts have more torque than your honda
Dutton 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
Try to learn and understand what you are doing before you go ahead and soldering wires, go through and locate each wire that you need and mark them with masking tape.  Then after you know all the wires that you plan to hook up for your model, go ahead and solder everything.  If you plan ahead then you will be able to route your wires together and also in the end be able to make them look like they are directly from the factory.  Don't mount the brain below the driver's side console, try behind the radio for best protection.  Make sure to test all the wires before you hook anything up!  That way you will make sure not to damage the brain.  Good Luck!
Two_Cold 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
Take your time. Read the manual through first, then take Dutton's advise.
It realy isn't too hard.
jaurora 
Silver - Posts: 429
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  

I have installed 3 alarms and remote starters into my truck (trying to keep up to date) in which they are the same. The wire connections are all fairily easy. If your truck came with keyless entry and or factory alarm, the connections will be in the black box to the right of the steering wheel. The connections there will be for the doors if adding keyless entry and to bypass the factory alarm. Doorlocks can be tricky. The are ground pulse for lock and 5 wire for unlock, meaning you will need a relay to unlock the doors. The lights are easy to get to once you remove the plastick bezel and remove the 3 screwes that hold in the switch assy. The main power wires are right under the steering coloum. The tack wire location is on the passenger side on the firewall. You will have to remove some factory electrical tape and fish thru some wires to find it but it is right there. If you need more help please let me know, trust me I know this truck inside and out.

MECP certified (If it really means anything)
Jeremy
jaurora 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  
Also  to add, placing the brain under the under the driver side console is fine. 1) reasoning it is just a remote start. 2) even if it was an alarm,  by the time the theif broke into the vehicle (alarm going off), got out his screwdriver, unscrewed the console, (alarm still going off), removed the counsole, (alarm still going off), search for the brain under the console (alarm still going off), unpluging the right harness if not all, (the vehicle still cant start if the insatller installed the starter kill correctly) and any theif who can pull this off without nobody noticeing is strongly unlikely, also to boot it would be much easier to break a window and take what he want in a matter of seconds. so by placing the brain under the dash should never be a problem!
Jeremy
mopar4x4 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2001 dodge ram and I am installing a remote start keyless entry system. I'm bypassing the factor keyless. Are the wires for the door locks connected to the control box to the right of the steering wheel? Also the tach wire I'm guessing is easier to get to in the engine compartment versus trying to find it under the dash.
jaurora 
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 6:53 AM / IP Logged  
Power Lock ORANGE / purple  5wi driver door harness
Notes: Keyless models use positive trigger for lock, and 5-wire for unlock. Can also find wires at the central timer module to the right side of the steering column, lock is ORANGE / green, unlock is pink/green.
Power Unlock pink/purple  5wi driver door harness
Notes: Keyless models use positive trigger for lock, and 5-wire for unlock. Can also find wires at the central timer module to the right side of the steering column, lock is ORANGE / green, unlock is pink/green.

Note that the unlock is a 5 wire system which requires a relay.

The tach wire can also be found at the ECM on the passenger side firewall in connector C-1, pin 8. BLACK/ GRAY

Jeremy
mopar4x4 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  

I appreciate your help with this.

Tom

jaurora 
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  

No prop. I have the same truck so I can relate! Any issues on finding wires ect.. let me know

Jeremy

Jeremy
mopar4x4 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
You wouldn't happen to have a drawing of the hook up would you? As far as the relay goes.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic