icon

Racing seat strength?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  
Well I will definately have to check this out.  I gotto find someone local that does good work first.  Not only am I getting these recovered, when I get done making this racing seat I have to have someone, foam the seat and make the cover for it from scratch.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
bambalahny 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
If your so worried about fiberglass why don't you use Carbon fiber and kevlar? I am building my own race seats and found from a maker of carbon fiber seats on their site that they use a sandwhich of Carbon/Kevlar/Carbon . I am buying the material from Tap plastics and will cost a little less then $200 for material and resin. I would trust Carbon Fiber but not Fiberglass. It is much stronger and lighter, I have tested it to my own satisfaction with a hammer and am confident that it is safe enough for a car seat. Well do what you think is best, if need be why not buy a pair of carbon seats off of E-bay their plenty cheap in price
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  
Well one I just want to have the satisfaction of being able to say that I made my racing seat, when someone asks where did you get that seat.  The reason im not using carbon fiber is its too expensive for me. The fiberglass I have chosen is the strongest that I could find. That I know of, I just asked everyone cause I know that are people that are a lot smarter than I am.
djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
Didn't they make a glass seat in one of the Alpine cars?  You should see how they made their chair.  I haven't looked at it in awhile.
Racing seat strength? - Page 3 -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah they made one in the rsx, and the one in the mini cooper is made of plexiglass.    The one in the alpine started off with just mdf I believe but I dont think they even drive that car on the road im pretty sure it doesnt even have a seatbelt in it so im sure they werent planning on having any big pounds of pressure on it.
djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
If I were going to make a seat out of glass, I'd get a welder to make a steel frame first.  Then I'd probably put a 1 inch thick MDF board across the top where I would sit and somehow secure it to the steel frame.  Then I'd glass around that and probably do like 20 layers.  I'd also use plenty for Duraglass/Marglass for extra strength.  I'm 6'4" 230 lbs so I would never try to make a seat for myself.  I'm happy with the Tuned By Matrix racing seats that I had welded in my truck.  I got them for half price in a promotion on Ebay months ago.  You'll be able to see them in my new post later today as long as someone answers my new post about how to shrink pictures so I can post them here.
Racing seat strength? - Page 3 -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
Well im only 5'9" and 140 lbs.  So I believe it will work for me.  I dont think im going to be using any type of filler on this as it will be completely covered in fabric.  I am going to be taking a steel plate and putting it on the bottom, drilling holes throught the sitting area and bolting it into place Welding nuts on the top of it so that I can bolt the seat in  But its going to be a solid steel plate and once I bolt it in Im going to glass over it. So that it will be even more in place. 
Drocay 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  
FG seat, won't that be kinda dangerous consdering if u crash and it breaks it will break into sharp jagged pieces. heh i hope it comes out good for u.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic