Karr Alarm, 1993 Mitsubishi Diamante

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
slush 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

Hello!

I have a 1993 Mitsubishi Diamante with a (dealer installed) KARR alarm.  From what i've researched i belive a blue wire on this alarm is the trunk output to trigger the trunk solenoid?  The people who installed the alarm some 7 years ago connected basically every wire except the blue wire.  I want to try and make it so that i can pop my trunk with the remote transmitter.  Will i need a relay?  Can i try to see if it will work by touching the blue wire's lead with one of the trunk wires and hiting the button or will that short out the alarm?  Is there any information regarding the wiring on my car? 

The brain has this little slide-off door that has a little set of two toggle switches (that you have to set on and off with a pencil).  Does anyone know what those are used for?  One of them when toggled doesn't do anything... the other causes the LED on my dash to flash once if flipped to the on position.

Finally, if i do go and put in the relay for the trunk release, how do i program the remote to open it (if it even needs to be programmed) ?

Sorry... that's alot of questions, but thanks VERY much in advance!

-Derek

slush 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  

Oh, one more thing.. what type of relay would i need (12v, but amperage?), and where can i get some of those "wire tap" things that you basically snap around a wire you want to get into so you don't have to splice it.

Thanks!

-Derek

daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  

yes you can hook that wire up to the trunk,  through a relay that is 12v maybe 20 or 30 amps, but not less than 10 amps.

2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
slush 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2005 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  
daniel2002p wrote:

yes you can hook that wire up to the trunk,  through a relay that is 12v maybe 20 or 30 amps, but not less than 10 amps.

Cool do i need to program the remote?  Or should one of the buttons already do it?  On the back of the brain i see two little dials with numbers going around them... so i'm guessing that's how you "program" the remotes to work with it... old fashioned "garage-door-opener" style. 

-Derek

slush 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2005 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
keeping it up top!
shesaidshewas18 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2005 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  

Do you know what model alarm it is? If its 2040A or 4040A, that blue wire ISNT for a trunk release. Its for the trunk TRIGGER.

slush 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2005 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
shesaidshewas18 wrote:

Do you know what model alarm it is? If its 2040A or 4040A, that blue wire ISNT for a trunk release. Its for the trunk TRIGGER.

I don't know. I can't find any identifying marks on it.  It is a small black box with nothing other than the word "KARR" on the front with a little slide-off service "door" that gives access to this set of 2 switches.  The back says nothing either.

However, If i open my trunk while the car is armed the alarm will go off...

-Derek

slush 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2005 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  

by the way where can i get information as to what my trunk release is (+ or -).  Info on a 1993 mitsubishi diamante is hard to find...

slush 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2005 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  

by the way where can i get information as to what my trunk release is (+ or -).  Info on a 1993 mitsubishi diamante is hard to find...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic