icon

Trunk lid screen/speaker fiberglass insta

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
Does anyone have a good site where someone may have installed a screen and some speakers onto the underside of their trunk lid? I'd just like to see how they molded and mounted it... THANK YOU!!!
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 7:18 AM / IP Logged  

First off do a search on it, I saw some people who did it before on here, as well, the best way I have seen is to make a mold of your trunk lid, then glue your speaker rings and screen trim to the trunk lid mold and fleece it and then add a few layers for glass and sand and prime and sand and paint.... but get some others thoughts, that is just how I would do it...

Duke Duke
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 8:01 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah I think thats exactly how they did it, on the one where the guy posted pics of the grand prix and did the trunk.  Then he just ran some bolts through it.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
Yea thats the next little project for me.  Its mostly the same way you'd make a mold for a box.  Just tape/foil your inner trunk lid, mark the area you want the glass to shape, pop off the mold, set up your rings/monitor trims, wrap etc.  I think the bolting part may be the only tricky part to securing it.
Im a fiberglass whore!!
bluetruck 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  
probly easier to take the trunk lid off the car to work on it. just a thought.
iday 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
i saw some article on how to secure the piece to the trunk lid.  The installers bonded pieces of wood to the trunk lid.  My guess would be with some type of expoxy.  When the piece was done, they bolted it to the wooden parts of the trunk lid through the speaker holes or monitor holes and then mounted the equipment so the mounts wouldnt be visible.
iday 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
i saw some article on how to secure the piece to the trunk lid.  The installers bonded pieces of wood to the trunk lid.  My guess would be with some type of expoxy.  When the piece was done, they bolted it to the wooden parts of the trunk lid through the speaker holes or monitor holes and then mounted the equipment so the mounts wouldnt be visible.
iday 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
oops, sorry for the doulbe post.
djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2005 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
as always the .hzemall.com site pulls through but I have another question... I have the factory trunk lid carpet cover... can I just fiberglass that for my base? Maybe i'll just stick to using  a couple layers of tape like he did... but how do you mount it to the underside of the trunk lid? The lid has many braces in it with many previous holes for the factory carpet to mount from can I just buy some of those screw anchor things and put like 6 of them in there to hold it up?... But i'd like to be able to remove the piece if I ever sell the car so are the anchors ever removeable? maybe you guys know of a better way to anchor it to the underside of the trunk lid?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic