icon

Can't find the dome lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Player69 
Silver - Posts: 504
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2002 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
If your doors are open it will make the chime sound to remind you park lights are on.  Close the door and it will go away.  This is normal, even if you just turn on the parklights while the door is open you will see the same thing. 
chuntag95 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2002 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

Player69,

The chime sounds with the door closed when hooked up to the brown wire at the BCM.  I thought it was because I was hooked into the dome light at first and that the truck was thinking the door was open.  When I disconnect the dome circuit, the chime still went off both with the door open and close.  I don't understand why the truck turns on the chime when the door is closed, but it does.  If you turn on the parking lights it does it as well.  Chevy, go figure.

Chris
Player69 
Silver - Posts: 504
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2002 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
Trust me, its not chevy thats the problem ;)  You have the wrong wire.  If you would check that wire with a dvm you will likely  see that it isn't even a parklight wire at all.  To save screwing up again, pull the park light switch out, test the brown wire behind there (should be 12v when switch is on) and hook it up there.  I believe there is only 1 brown wire there.
chuntag95 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2002 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  

Player69,

Okay, I'll give it another shot.  I did that for the dome, but had found the brown wire at the BCM, so didn't chase the parking lights up there.  Do you know how the chime is controlled?  How does it know when the lights are on and the engine isn't?  Why does the chime go off if I sit in the truck with the doors closed and turn on the parking lights?  This has to be some new feature or could the door trigger be getting feedback and the truck thinks the door is open.  But, if that's the case, why doesn't it do it with the headlights?  Ahhh, the joy of the do it yourself lifestyle!  Just imagine how bad I would be if I didn't have an electronics degree and an engineering degree, or then again, maybe that is the problem.  Can't find the dome lights - Page 2 -- posted image.

Chris
superman121880 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2002 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  

DONT THE DOME LIGHT LIGHT UP WHEN YOU UNLOCK YOUR DRIVER SIDE DOOR ON THAT YEAR MODEL TRUCK????

superman
chuntag95 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2002 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  

Superman,

Yes, when you use the factory remote.  WIth the new one it didn't, so you have to hook into the lights to make that happen.  It' does now.

Chris
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 30, 2002 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  

On most (or all?) GM cars, the chime comes on with the parking lights, whenever the ignition is OFF......regardless of whether a door is opened or closed.  This is normal; the chime goes out when the key is switched on (or when the car is remote started).

A Toyota, for example, would only activate the chime if the ignition is off, the parking lights are on, AND a door is opened---but this is not the case with GM.

Also, let me get these other things straight.  The truck has a factory alarm.  You're installing a combination alarm and remote start.  You want domelight supervision---whether it be the factory supervision, or that built into your new unit.  You want to shut down the RAP if you turn the remote starter off.  And you want to re-arm the factory alarm if you turn the remote starter off.  Correct?

To shut down RAP without triggering your aftermarket alarm:  Cut any one of the door trigger wires in half; insert a diode inline, facing in the direction that allows the door trigger to still work.  Then attach your "pulse after shutdown" wire to the BCM side of the diode, and your alarm's door trigger wire to the "car" side of the diode.............the diode will prevent your new alarm from "seeing" the "pulse after shutdown,", but the GM's BCM will still be able to see it.

Domelight supervision:  Connect your new alarm's domelight supervision wire to the BCM side of that diode; the same place as the "pulse after shutdown."  This will give you (30 seconds?) of aftermarket supervision, followed by whatever the factory delay is.  If you want the delay to be just like factory, split your alarm's unlock wire with two diodes-----send one to the normal unlock wire, and the other to the BCM side of that door trigger wire------the car will think a door has opened, thus activating the factory delay.

Factory re-arm:  There are only two ways to arm the factory alarm.  1.  Press Lock on the factory keyless.  2.  While any door is open, press the power lock button on the door panel, and close the door.  ------------  I tried to diode-split the alarm's lock output.....one to the lock wire and the other to one of the door triggers.....but this didn't work for me.  I think the BCM needs to see the door being opened BEFORE the lock button is pressed.  If you have the time and energy, you could probably duplicate this using some pulse timers or something, which I've never tried before.  Or solder into the factory remote, bury it under the dash, and trip it with a relay.  For now, though, you'll need to get in the habit of locking the doors before you exit the car, and then arm your aftermarket system with the remote.

chuntag95 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2002 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  

I want to shut down the RAP if I turn the remote starter off.  And I want to re-arm the factory alarm if I turn the remote starter off.  Correct

I'll to the split with the diode at the BCM for the RAP.  I will look at inserting the factory remote, but might try to remember to lock before I close the door.  I have the dome supervision working with the aftermarket through a relay.  Seems to do all I need, but I might try the split just to see. 

Thanks for all the input.

Chris
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic