the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Grill ideas

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
I just put together a dual ported box (12"). I left an overhang on the top and bottom by about 2.75 inches. Its' total length is about 32". The port is in the middle. I want to construct some sort of grill for the subs and maybe something for the port. No spinnig or chrome cover ideas please. Wood or something tasteful. I have not carpeted the box yet. Any comments would be great.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
Grill cloth always seems to work pretty well... why would you want to cover your speakers with wood?  Makes it hard to hear them unless it's a bandpass.  :)
Support the12volt.com
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  

Although this wouldn't help for the port, something people always forget is that speakers have built in grills.  All you have to do is mount it backwards where the magnet is on the outside of the enclosure.  You can inverse mount the port too, but it doesn't look as good. Grill ideas -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
I actually did an inverse port for a guy once.  Built the ports completely outside the enclosure and put it through the rear deck.  His theory was more SPL inside the car with the ports venting into the car's interior.  Used dual 6" PVC directed through two holes cut in the rear deck, with a 90 degree bend inside the car so the ports were facing the front seat.  Looked real stupid and sounded pretty bad, actually, but he was happy.
Support the12volt.com
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  

I'll bet.  I did an install in a Porsche not too long ago and the port was outside the enclosure as well.  It's a great way to go if you need a REALLY long port and don't want to do a bunch of folds. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  

Make a grill out of plexiglass....Cut the symbol for the subs out of the plexi....To get them away from the sub get some chrome plumbing metal tube from any local hardware store cut it too length and screw through the plexi screws going through the plumbing tube and into the box.....

You wil have to use long srews but I have done this before and it looked really good...I used screws with machine heads on them and it gave it a little bit of an industrial look...

You can buy a length of chrome plumbing tube really cheap....

Grill ideas -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
I'll bet you could make a nice looking grille out of dowel rods, using some polyurethane to make them shine.
bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  
i once had to put my ports on the outside of a home system. there were four 4" in diameter pvc pipes that were 8" long. as you guys can guess that box needed quite a bit of bracing and i had not taken into account how much i was going to actually need. i couldnt fit the entire length of the ports even if i had calculated the extra bracing i had anyways. beautiful monstrosity that i still have to this day. my friends and i make bets to which port will fall off first when really pushing the speakers. i thought epoxy and liquid nails would hold anything.
now to answer the question and be on topic, stick with the grill cloth for simplicity, being subtle, and having a classier looking box
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  

hey, can i get a pic of these inverse mounted ports. i've never seen anything like that, atleast i dont think i have. sounds like it'd look pretty stupid.

1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
it does in most applications.  you can make them look good if you are creative. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic