the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Alternator upgrade advice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 07, 2005 at 4:12 AM / IP Logged  
invictuz wrote:
goal was to locate some dense foam.  after talking to the "foam aisle" guy he told me about something called "Torchlite" that is sold at roofing supply stores. (he explained that it is used to absorb sound in open space attics/roofs)

it is the same material as Dynomat at about 30% the cost.  tomorrow i am going to the local roofing store and picking some up...

B-Quiet, Raamat, Dyanamat Extreme are tried-and-true performers for damping sheet metal.  The idea is to stop vehicle resonance and rattles caused by low frequencies stressing the car's sheet metal.  The material has to stick to the metal and stay pliable through extreme weather conditions.

But then again, I haven't talked to the "foam aisle guy"......  lol

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
invictuz 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2005 at 5:06 AM / IP Logged  

yeah...i went to home depot just to look for some ideas on dampening my truck myself....

in a couple of LCD PC monitors i purchased there was a dense packing material that looked like that thick yellow spongy foam normally reserved for mother-in-laws sleep over bed.

It was it appear to be in a thick black plastic bag with all the air removed. This left about an 3/4" thick, dense but pliable material.

the "foam aisle" guy (i think he may also know insulation cuz he appeared to be in a hurry to deliver the block under his arm when i stopped him for 37 questions...) mentioned this "Torchlite" is applied with a hairdryer...weather resistant...and according to him made from the same material as Dynamat...

guess i will know more in about 12 hours...

david

audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2005 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  
Before you get too crazy with advice from the Home Depot Guy, check to see if the materials have asbestos, fiberglass crystals or other carcinogenes (?) Don't forget you will be breathing the air inside your vehicle more directly than you would in a building. Most retardents used for buildings have fire protective quailites which will make you feel sick if constantly exposed. And last don't forget the fumes that are released, some of the glues really smell bad.
It may work in my not. I would rather spend a few extra bucks and buy what's been proven verses the mess of taking the vehicle apart again, stripe off the failed materials and then go out and buy the correct stuff and start over. The Home Depot Guy might be in the Gardening section next week, he might be an expert on mulch by then. Good Luck!
invictuz 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2005 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  

i hear you...

my goal in building up my jeep was to do it all myself...if i didnt know something i would learn...nothing like taking everything apart to motivate you into learning how things work together...

so far i have done the electrical part this week is fiberglass and sound dampening (and ordering a new amp)

its definately not about cutting corners or saving money

...if it were my girlfriend wouldn't have stormed out for two weeks when i brought her into the basement to check out all the new gear i had spread from wall to wall as a result of months of researching, buying in large quantity (box of 10 10" DVC subs, case of RF amps, 4 spools of a total 275' of cable, etc...) and was about to install...i thought she would be at least half as excited as me...first question: how much did you spend...when i answered she gave me a blank stare...started crying...then screaming...lesson learned here: never disagree with a woman who can reach a 1 farad capacitor and a box of fins removed from fosgate amps...

i want to be able i say i did it all...dont get me wrong...quality is quality and a great setup is impressive...just more so when the owner says they did it themselves...

Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic