the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Initial impression: Adire Extremis 6.8

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

Glad to hear you are happy with the sound.  There is little more satisfying than building something like a set of speakers and being really happy with the results.

I have always thought Usher loudspeakers are over-rated and over-priced.  They sound way too mushy for my taste, like an old AR8 with a silk dome and no definition.  For tweeters, stick with Morel, Scan Speak, Peerless, Seas, Onkyo, Silver Flute, B/G, JBL, Eminence, Fane... the drivers most of the big boys use.

Support the12volt.com
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  

The speakers I heard tonight, and I will be building for myself use these tweeters: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=277-408&DID=7  I guess the Usher is a superior tweeter since it can play louder and has a little less distortion.  But I really liked what I heard of the Peerless tweeters, and at a quarter the price they work for me. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  

I suppose since this thread has already gone off topic, I will add another one. 

There is an online magazine called Momentum produced by another car audio forum.  In one of the articles people ask questions on the "chalk board" and my boss answers them.  These range from speaker selection for a system to which underwear is better (you think I'm kidding, but I'm not).  Here's the link: http://forum.soundillusions.net/article.php?a=223

I figured some of you techies might enjoy it. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 5:27 AM / IP Logged  
Very interesting page. Thanks for pointing it out!
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Steven Kephart 
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

Glad to hear you are happy with the sound.  There is little more satisfying than building something like a set of speakers and being really happy with the results.

I have always thought Usher loudspeakers are over-rated and over-priced.  They sound way too mushy for my taste, like an old AR8 with a silk dome and no definition.  For tweeters, stick with Morel, Scan Speak, Peerless, Seas, Onkyo, Silver Flute, B/G, JBL, Eminence, Fane... the drivers most of the big boys use.

One of the reasons I posted the above link was because of some of the comments my boss made about tweeter selection.  Do you think the issues you heard with the Ushers could have been caused by the crossover?

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Page of 5

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic