the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Initial impression: Adire Extremis 6.8


Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Joined: November 06, 2003
Location: Oregon, United States
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  

Damping material will do nothing unless your walls are very thin and flop around (ie sheet metal in cars).  All it does is lower the resonant point below the pass band of the system.  However if you are using proper materials for your enclosure, the resonances are already below that point anyway.  I recommend just using the Acousta-stuff material and make sure it is in the center of the enclosure.  Placing it along the walls does very little as the air speed is greatly reduced due to friction. 

I know that DYohn doesn't like it, but we buy pillows for our enclosures.  This is because we can order them in the specific weight we need and just throw the pillows in the enclosure.  It is much easier to store and distribute.  Initial impression: Adire Extremis 6.8 - Page 4 -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Joined: April 22, 2003
Location: Arizona, United States
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
Whatever works!
Support the12volt.com
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Joined: April 30, 2003
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, thanks for that.  I hear all kinds of crazy sh*t during my trolling at madisound and diyaudio.  (Multiple layers of 3/4" MDF, sandwiching sand, dynamat, etc between boxes, using cement, fiberglassing, etc.)

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Joined: November 06, 2003
Location: Oregon, United States
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  

Well they are correct with some of that stuff as it makes the enclosure more rigid.  It greatly reduces the flexing of the walls of the enclosure, which is a good thing.  However lining with mass loading pannels doesn't make the walls any more rigid, so it is a waste of money IMO.  

DYohn, I hope you don't think I'm saying you are wrong about Acousta-stuff.  You are correct in that it is supperior.  However from a production standpoint we found that the pillows were easier and gave close to the same performance.  That was all.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Joined: April 22, 2003
Location: Arizona, United States
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  

Steven Kephart wrote:
DYohn, I hope you don't think I'm saying you are wrong about Acousta-stuff.  You are correct in that it is supperior.  However from a production standpoint we found that the pillows were easier and gave close to the same performance.  That was all.

Not at all!  I was serious about "whatever works."  In really critical applications, however, I suggest using real combed wool, actually... and there is some radioactive stuff designed to prevent mold and bugs that works real well but it's illegal in the USA... using actual pillows are an intrigung idea, but I'll bet their relative rigidity makes their damping factor higher than using loose polyfill, and the cover could make a difference too... sounds like another experiment!

Support the12volt.com
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Joined: June 06, 2003
Location: United States
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  

Hmm... Makes me want to DIY a 3 way system for my accord...only if I had the money.. :(

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Joined: January 19, 2003
Location: Michigan, Bouvet Island
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
kfr01 wrote:

Ok, thanks for that.  I hear all kinds of crazy sh*t during my trolling at madisound and diyaudio.  (Multiple layers of 3/4" MDF, sandwiching sand, dynamat, etc between boxes, using cement, fiberglassing, etc.)

Steven says they don't really use any damping on walls... This is kind of a loaded question to get this kind of answer. Damping the walls IS ABSOLUTELY beneficial, -BUT- you will realize no benefit until you raise the mass of the wall by a MINIMUM of 50%. Without at least this much damping, you will realize considerably less benefit. The transmission line I had for my 86 Civic had *300 POUNDS* of sand in it... which was about three times what the enclosure weighed without the damping.
(Note: This goes for car doors, too, for those of you wanting to damp you doors with Dynamat or the likes.)
Raising the mass of MDF by 50%, you can tell, is quite the undertaking. I have actually used concrete - it was a three layer enclosure - MDF/concrete/MDF - and it worked like a charm. The enclosure was a big one, though (and consequentally, heavy...). A smaller one would have FAR passed the point of diminishing returns. Another expensive option, but one that also works well, is lead sheets... (that's NOT a joke)
As far as damping the interior of the enclosure - PILLOWS!?! (he asked incredulously, and with a hint of disbelief in his voice) You mean you just toss 'em in the box? Hmmmm... I think I agree with DYohn, especially with the covering... Why don't you STORE them, by weight, then open them up and toss the stuffing in? Just a suggestion...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Joined: January 24, 2004
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
In really critical applications, however, I suggest using real combed wool, actually... and there is some radioactive stuff designed to prevent mold and bugs that works real well but it's illegal in the USA

Oh, but there is a way that is not only legal but perfectly safe if used as directed.  Use boric acid dust formulation (available by the bottle at your local drugstore) mixed thoroughly with the animal hair.  The borates will kill the moths and beetles that would feed on the wool, and stays active indefinitely.   A mineral, not a chemical, it remains an effective insect killer because there is no volatility.  Wear a respirator or dust mask outdoors while mixing it into the wool (it will be dusty).  And wash your clothes separately.  Bag the treated wool in a plastic bag and use when needed.  And I would go so far as to say:  use it in sealed enclosures only.

Mold is not treated for like this....but if the air is so wet that mold spores can grow then the speaker will be ruined anyway, I would think. 

I just now thought this treatment up and haven't seen it written of before.  We (in the pest control industry) do, however, use treated mineral fibers for insulation.  But this application is unique.  The post above gave me the idea.  So, opportunists, feel free to contact me for rights to produce.  As this is published today, consider it Patent pending!

Did I stray O.T.?  lol

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Joined: November 06, 2003
Location: Oregon, United States
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
kfr01 wrote:

heh :-) 

I wish I lived closer.  Someone up there stop by Steven's place of work and let me know how huge the difference is between teh 261 and 61 kit.  :-)

Ok, I just finished the set that is going in my boss's house.  It is very similar to the 261, however it uses a less expensive tweeter than the Usher.  But it is voiced the same.  After listening to them for the last hour and a half, I want to change my previous recommendation to you.  I recommend you getting the 261's for now and see how you like them without a sub.  I really don't think you need one for music.  They are that incredible in their bass response.  I tortured them with some bass cd's, the 5th element soundtrack,  Mickey Hart; Planet Drum, and other bass heavy tracks.  They are the first 6.5" based speaker system that will resonate your chest cavity.  We use a 3" port for a reason after all. Initial impression: Adire Extremis 6.8 - Page 4 -- posted image.  But I say save yourself some money and listen to them first without a sub.

I do want to get someone on here to take a listen and give their objective opinion on these things.  But I truely am blown away.  They sound better all around than even the Wilson Watt Puppies I demoed ($20k speakers).  The ambient sounds are very much enveloping, the imaging is right on and even extends a little beyond the speakers, and they just aren't fatiguing to listen to; even at very high output levels.  I was going to wait to build these for my apartment.  But now I can't wait.  I have to have these things.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Joined: November 06, 2003
Location: Oregon, United States
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

and there is some radioactive stuff designed to prevent mold and bugs that works real well but it's illegal in the USA...

Well that's too bad. Can you imagine how rigid your enclosure would be if you had to line it in lead? Initial impression: Adire Extremis 6.8 - Page 4 -- posted image.

And becides, it's not like my kids aren't going to turn out as freaks anyway having my genes.  So why not have some fun with it? Initial impression: Adire Extremis 6.8 - Page 4 -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Page of 5

  Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

  •  
Search the12volt.com
Follow the12volt.com Follow the12volt.com on Facebook
Friday, May 24, 2024 • Copyright © 1999-2024 the12volt.com, All Rights Reserved Privacy Policy & Use of Cookies
Disclaimer: *All information on this site ( the12volt.com ) is provided "as is" without any warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to fitness for a particular use. Any user assumes the entire risk as to the accuracy and use of this information. Please verify all wire colors and diagrams before applying any information.

Secured by Sectigo
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
Support the12volt.com
Top
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer