icon

Initial impression: Adire Extremis 6.8

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
For those of you who asked, here is a page of an employee at Phoenix Gold who uses Phase Audio's tube amps.
http://www.sounddomain.com/id/bretthoward
Paul
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  

T.Hill wrote:
DYohn, have you had a chance to listen to the RE XXX mids yet? From what I understand they are in the same class as the Extreme6.8's. Maybe Steven can elaborate on that last comment.

Wow, this discussion went far afield.  No, I haven't had a chance to hear the RE version of the XBL mid.  I understand their 4.5" driver is quite nice, though.

For what it's worth, I used a McIntosh amp because it was what I had available when I intially built my system, although I do agree that they are among the best made amplifiers in the world.  And to add further to the fray, IMO loudspeakers are far and away the most critical component for SQ in a system, but the entire electronics chain will determine the character and quality of what reaches the loudspeakers.  Tube amps are never the cleanest nor the most power efficient, but they do tend to be the most warm sounding (largely due to introduced harmonics) and many people say the most "natural" sounding amplifiers.  By "natural," I mean they sound the most like live instruments playing.  Ths difference is mainly noticable when reproducing acoustic instruments or voices.  In a car, the difference would probably only be important with the engine off and outside noises minimized.

Support the12volt.com
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  

Actually the RE XXX mids are a 6.5" midrange.  I haven't played with them, but from what I hear they don't work well IB in doors.  You need to put them in an enclosure, which can be a problem for most installs.  The 4.5" speakers DYohn mentions above are some full range speakers by Creative Sound Solutions.  Those are a pretty impressive speaker as well.  They were designed to beat out the more expensive Jordan full range speakers Bob at CSS sells.  We had a great deal of interest in them in many fields.  They are one of the best demo's we have to prove that Doppler based IMD is not an issue.  I actually have a pair I'm using as front speakers at home till I finally build my Extremis towers.  Then the 4's will be moved to surround duties.

Oh, and eventually Exodus Audio, who is releasing the Extremis based kits, will be releasing an LCR design using dual Extremis mids, the CSS 4, and the Usher tweeter.  I'm building the crossover for the kit 261's right now at work. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
Oops, my mistake!  The CSS 4.5" full range is what I was thinking of.  Thanks for the correction!  In any case, I haven't heard either one.
Support the12volt.com
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  

Any info. you can share regarding the design on the 261 Kit?  xo frequencies?  etc? ;-)

That LCR center promises to be pretty awesome.  Imagine actually being able to set center to 'large' on the receiver.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
kfr01 wrote:

Any info. you can share regarding the design on the 261 Kit?  xo frequencies?  etc? ;-)

That LCR center promises to be pretty awesome.  Imagine actually being able to set center to 'large' on the receiver.

Unfortunately I'm not sure what frequency he chose.  My guess is somewhere around 2.5-3kHz  But the end response was VERY smooth and flat.  It sounded awesome in his computer simulation of the crossover.  I just got the crossovers built and the glue holding them in the enclosures is drying right now.  As soon as that is done we will veneer the cabinets, mount the drivers, and then they will be done.

The LCR will be a fun one.  It is designed as the ultimate center channel allowing incredible extention.  This is important after all since the center channel provides so much of the information you hear in the movie.  The problem of course will be the size though.  But it should be similar to our Kit LCC, but with more extention.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

T.Hill 
Copper - Posts: 268
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
Steven, I've been reading a lot about the RE's over on Talk-audio.co.uk and in the beginning it was said that they didn't do well in IB, but now that has changed. I couldn't find the exact thread talking about this, but here is one showing the XXX mids and saying that that will work in IB.
www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=104673&highlight=xxx+6.5]
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
Steven, if possible - and I certainly understand if your NDA forbids it, but it would be really great if you could compare listening impressions between the 61 and the 261.  Also - I have heard different things about the configuration - is the 261 an MMT or an MTM?
Steven Kephart 
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 2:38 AM / IP Logged  

The 261 is an MMT.  My guess is that they will sound the same other than the 261's having even more low end capability.  They are in a 3 foot tall tower though instead of the .75 cubic foot ported enclosure the 61's are in. 

BTW, anyone in the Seattle area come on by and you can hear for yourself. Initial impression: Adire Extremis 6.8 - Page 3 -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

kfr01 
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

heh :-) 

I wish I lived closer.  Someone up there stop by Steven's place of work and let me know how huge the difference is between teh 261 and 61 kit.  :-)

Steven, this is also OT, but most of my posts these days are.  Do you / adire / dan / others you associate with 'in the know' have a favorite method of damping speakers?  Particularly the kit61 - I'll be ordering it the second I see it on one of the sites.

Anyway, from the research I've done here's what my current plan is:

Kit design w/ suggested bracing.

Cascade Audio damping Spray on inside.
Egg crate foam on all walls other than the baffle.
Acousta-Stuff as recommended in the kit.

Any other suggestions?  Does that damping spray help at all?  Any benefit to double width on the front baffle for the Extremis?

Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic