icon

97 Cavalier, Passlock I

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TJ92Civic 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2005 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  

I just installed a Crimestopper RS900vii into a 97 Cavalier.  Now I couldn't get the relay method to work, so I said screw it, and bought a 555l bypass module.  I wired it up.  Start the car, let it run for about 30 seconds.  Turn the car off, then remote start it.  Starts right up!  GREAT!  I shut it down, and try to start it again.  Starts up again.  I start putting it back together, then try starting it again.  No go...

It seems to work fine if I remote start it, then put the key in and go from there.  But if I don't use the key at all, it starts having problems.  I noticed that the 2nd or 3rd time, the theft light would come on.  then it shut off after a bit.  But is this normal?  Or should you be able to start it up over and over without ever using the key?

I used the accessory wire for the violet (ground while start) wire.  But then after it wouldn't work all the time, I wired up a relay, to change the starter from +12v  to ground.  And it didn't make a difference.

And suggestions?  Is this just how it is???

P.S. I hate Cavaliers and Passlock I...  lol.

tim

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 07, 2005 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
What year is your Cav.?
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 07, 2005 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  

Where do you have the BLACK/ White wire from 555 hooked to?

Check your YELLOW & BLACK / YELLOW wires from 555 to make sure they are not reversed.
Also:

<<"I used the accessory wire for the violet (ground while start) wire.  But then after it wouldn't work all the time, I wired up a relay, to change the starter from +12v  to ground.  And it didn't make a difference.">>

Not sure what U meant, but the VIOLET wire from 555 has to have a Negative Input while the RS is  Cranking.

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
TJ92Civic 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2005 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry, it is a 1997 Cavalier.

The BLACK/ white wire, went to a black wire in the ignition harness.  In a plug with 2 power wires.  This wire tested ground during crank.

The yellow and yellow/black are not reversed.

For the violet wire, I used the starter output from the RS.  There is no -during crank on the Crimestopper.  I used a relay to make the starter wire also a -while start.  (The accessory wire reads ground while crank too, that's why I tried that).

The car starts with the key fine, and starts with the starter fine, unless you start it more than once with the remote start.

As long as it was last started with the key, it seems to remote start.

Does that make sense?  I'm tryin to explain it right lol...

thanks

tim

TJ92Civic 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  

Anyone know if this is normal?

tim

soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
somtimes if a car is real picky, the 555 will lose programing. it relearns everytime you start it with the key, but i really shouldn't give you a problem. i've also found that when you run into a problem like this, and you keep testing over and over outside the limits of everyday useage, it seems to make things worse, wether it's by confusing the system or yourself. double check all of your connections, and make sure you have the right bulbcheck wire hooked up.
TJ92Civic 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  

Yah it's like it will lose the proramming.  but it will work fine if the car is run with the key first.  (Even if you remote start it, then put the key in and drive).  But if you just remote start, shut it off, remote start, shut it off, then it starts having problems.

As the bulb check, I used a black wire, in the same plug as the 2 power wires coming out of the ignition.  It tested as ground while crank.

tim

soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 7:16 AM / IP Logged  

if it works fine on a normal basis ( remote start --> get in and drive --> shut down --> remote start again...) thats fine. don't worry yourself over the way it tests, because the L is designed to relearn the code everytime it sees the key, so it's probably just forgetting it's programming and need to be oprated under more normal conditions.

TJ92Civic 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I was just wondering if this was a normal thing.

Thanks for the replies!

tim

TJ92Civic 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  

Installed Crimestopper remote start with a 555l bypass module.  Now sometimes the car will remote start first try, then sometimes it will start up then shut down right away, then on the second or third time it will start.  It's pretty annoying.  Any ideas of what could cause that?  I'm confused because sometimes it works perfectly.

At first I thought that it was just because the key wasn't being used between remote starts (me testing it out over and over), but it has done it after running with the key.

Any suggestions / theories?  I suggest driving the car off a cliff...  lol but that's not an option.

please help

tim

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic