icon

Multi Amp or Single Amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
FreakypervSD 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  

I have a Pioneer reciever with only 1 set of of RCA outputs.

2 amps a Hifonics 120w 4 channel w / built in crossovers and a  Rockford Fosgate Punch 150w 2 channel.

2 subs and I believe 6 factory speakers . Toyota 4runner '94

My question is since I only have a 1 set of RCA outputs is there a setup to run the 2 amps or should i run only 1 amp?

?Thanks for any help...

slammedb5 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  
Get a set of RCA splitters, and run 2 RCA's, one for each amp. Your 2 ch amp (for subs?)should be set to low pass, and your 4 ch should be set to all or high pass, depending on your listening tastes/setup. Or, run one set of RCA's to the 4 ch, and if it has pass through, get a short set of RCA's to run to the 2 ch. Not the best way to do it, but it will work.
EK Civic
security
no audio
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
What are you planning to use the two amps for, 2 subs and 6 factory speakers?
FreakypervSD 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 2:30 AM / IP Logged  

yes I was thinking of using the PUNCH 150s for the subs and the Hifonics 120w for the other speakers....unless there are other options? I'll get better speakers than the factory later..

djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 2:51 AM / IP Logged  
Take a look at your amps and see what kind of crossovers they have built in.  If the amp only has a low pass setting, it will cut off all the higher frequencies when the brossover is used.  That is an amp built for subs only.  If it has both, you can use it for either subs or regular speakers, depending on how you set the crossover, to low or high pass.
Multi Amp or Single Amp -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
FreakypervSD 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 3:32 AM / IP Logged  

yes both have hi and lows.. on the 2 channel amp use for subs i would  turn the treble ( as it says )  all the way down and the base  ( same )  all the way up...

FreakypervSD 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 3:58 AM / IP Logged  

Another thing, If I use an RCA splitter on the Reciever...would I be splitting the red plug (left side) to one amp and the white plug (right side) to the other amp? would that have any effect on  sound quality?

djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 4:22 AM / IP Logged  
The splitter splits both right and left channels.  So you have the red input to 2 red outputs and white input to 2 white outputs.  So both a red and white still go to each amp. 
Multi Amp or Single Amp -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
FreakypervSD 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 4:47 AM / IP Logged  
duh I knew that  Multi Amp or Single Amp -- posted image. lol had a brain fart  on that but I got it...hehe thanks...
norcalcreations 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 5:16 AM / IP Logged  

doesn't that divide the voltage of the output in half?  I would buy a hi-low converter.  You hook up speaker wires to get another set of rca's.  you can get 4 channel ones at walmart for under 20 bucks.

If you think you know everything you will learn nothing
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic