icon

Multi Amp or Single Amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 5:27 AM / IP Logged  
I have heard from many pros on this subject on posts here. I can't remember one that uses the converter method.  They have all recommended using the RCA splitter to anyone who has an amp with only one RCA output.  Me personally, I have a $600 Alpine deck that I got on the internet for $350 new.  It has 3 sets of 4-volt preouts and no built in amp. 
Multi Amp or Single Amp - Page 2 -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 5:29 AM / IP Logged  
No, norcal....voltage will not be divided.  Splitting the RCA's is a far better method than high level input.  Use the line out (if one of the amps has one) to feed the second amp.  If neither amp has line out, use the splitters as stated above.  Keep deck controls at full range and use the pass filters on the amps.
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 5:31 AM / IP Logged  
If only my dang Alpine deck played MP3s, it would be the perfect deck for me.  Bah, I'll have to upgrade when I buy a new car and just sell my truck with this deck in it.
FreakypervSD 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  

so is quality affected? I mean is there an big or noticeable difference in having only 1 set of RCA outlets and splitting them than having 2 sets or RCA outs? Would It be worth getting a new reciever with 2 sets or RCA outs? (besides this headache :)

djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
I don't think you will have any problems with the splitter.  Just use decent twisted wire RCA cables with good shielding and you should be fine.  It's not worth spending another $200 or more to get a better head unit.  Back in the day my head unit cost $550+tax retail, but it has 3 sets of RCA outs and they are all 4-volt.  Unless you are going hard core you won't want to spend the $300 and up it will cost these days to get a head unit like mine even though the price has come down a little.
FreakypervSD 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
Ok which is better Splitting the single RCA with Y adapters to make 2 sets? or using the Single RCA run through 1 amp and if the amp has an output or passthru output connecting it to the the 2nd amp?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  

stevdart wrote:
Use the line out (if one of the amps has one) to feed the second amp.  If neither amp has line out, use the splitters as stated above.

...been said...

FreakypervSD 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
right but the question was which would be better...it also said earlier that running the single to 1 amp and pass through to the 2nd  was "not the best way to do it" . I can actually do both having the 2 y adaptors and an amp with an output...but thanks for the speedy reply.Multi Amp or Single Amp - Page 2 -- posted image.
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 6:45 AM / IP Logged  
I don't think anyone can answer your last question Freaky.  You probably will get no audible difference either way.  You can try both ways and you'll probably be able to hear that for yourself.  It shouldn't take too long to try both ways and then you can decide which you like better. 
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic